1922 Chandler 6 smoking

PWN

So the engine was rebuilt some years ago, polished and balanced, new rings, same old pistons, new valves, all new babbit bearings. It sat for several years and was started about 6 months ago. I dropped the pan, squirted a bunch of motor oil all up in the pistons and hand turned it over a bunch slowly to lube everything up. Also put marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes. Dis all this before starting. Took a while to dial in. When it first started it was pretty smoky but that cleared up.  After running the first few gallons through it with no smoke, I added, probably way too much marvel mystery oil to the gas (small bottle to 10 gallons) and a little extra motor oil to the motor. That is when the smoking started.

It was running rich so I am dialing it down a bit. I am running the third tank of gas with the MMO recommended mix in the gas and about 20% kerosene. 

On start up there is no smoking and if I leave it at idle no smoking, only at higher speeds does it smoke.... a lot. Seems to be bluish blackish smoke. It still appears to be running rich.

One thing I have noticed is that fuel is coming out of the intake manifold and into the tube (I am using clear tubing) that connects with the vacuum tank. I first thought the vacuum was sucking gas out of the vacuum tank but have confirmed the fuel is coming from the manifold. It appears kinds red like the fuel did when I added to much MMO. Could there still be oil in the manifold? It has an updraft Stromberg OE-2 and it also leaks a little fuel after shutoff coming from the manifold.

I am on the second oil change and the oil is still clear and the level is not changing.

I guess I am concerned with the rings and hoping that the system is still kind saturated with oil.

Could be it is not broken in yet. It may settle down once it has 1000 or 2000 miles on it.

Motors of that age were expected to burn oil, maybe as much as a quart in 200 miles. Sounds like yours is running rich. If it is,the spark plugs and exhaust will be sooty and black. If they are oily and black that is oil. Usually blue smoke is oil burning, black smoke is too much gas.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Could be it is not broken in yet. It may settle down once it has 1000 or 2000 miles on it.

Motors of that age were expected to burn oil, maybe as much as a quart in 200 miles. Sounds like yours is running rich. If it is,the spark plugs and exhaust will be sooty and black. If they are oily and black that is oil. Usually blue smoke is oil burning, black smoke is too much gas.

Definitely running rich. Plugs and tailpipe sooty. They are not oily.

Thank you.