1966 Oldsmobile Toronado A6 Compressor Wanted

Welp AZ just fried my recently serviced AC compressor in my Toro.  Worked fine this morning but a poof of smoke later while driving told me it's done.  If someone has one or a good lead on a factory correct and marked unit please let me know.  Thank you.

You can get reproduction "Frigidaire" compressor decals, and seems someone had made rubber ink stamps for the inspectors' mark.

You sure the compressor itself has failed, or could it possibly be the electromagnet clutch?

With the temps Arizona's seeing I understand needing AC. Bad enough with 90s here in the East.

Mine here at the house failed last Saturday and with the holiday took till Thursday to get the new condenser. Installed it Friday and it worked for a day and a half and quit again. I can hear hissing on the outside unit so obviously another leak. A good friend who grew up in the HVAC business says R410 is wreaking havoc on joints and fittings.

At least that new butane based refrigerant isn't in common use, yet. I've already heard reports it's caused house fires and explosions from use in new  refrigerators and freezers. 

You have to ask what kind of nincompoop thought a flammable refrigerant was a good idea.

• Like 1

I'd prefer to find one that's already been gone through and with the correct decals tbh.  My compressor front bearing fried out and smoked out my car while I was driving around on Thursday afternoon.  The temps were in the mid 100s however I just think that the compressor was never used so she had dried up internally.

8 minutes ago, 60s GM Fan said:

...I just think that the compressor was never used so she had dried up internally.

Or, it had finally slung most of the oil out of its front seal over the last 50+ years!  ;)

• Like 1