Carpet needed, 1951 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country

We are restoring a 1951 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country and are in need of a close-to-original carpet. While our vehicle was otherwise in good condition, no carpet was in the wagon, so we have no template. While we have found a source for fabric, we need to find a shop with a pattern willing to cut and trim a ready-to-install carpet. The car is in a remote location where few upholsterers live. Any suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

Mike

Thank you both for your replies. I do have a sample of Hirsch hogshair and that is the material I hope to use. Unfortunately, I live in an area without shops interested in working on vintage vehicles, so I am seeking a shop with existing patterns for this wagon.

I do not have any current shots, nor do I have a glamour shot, but attached is an "as found" picture, and an "in progress" picture taken 5 years ago. Getting carpet and upholstery is what keeps us from driving and enjoying this Town and Country.

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, wow, wow! Thanks for posting the pics. We MUST get you back on the road. A "shop with patterns" does not sound possible to me. If anything one of the collector car BIG carpet KIT suppliers might come close but I would expect they would be a bit "universal" in their fit hoping to cover multiple years and body styles. And their "pattern" would thus need altered and adjusted, which typically ends up looking like a compromise. Making this plan futile. And no way will any of them have hogshair. Likely these stores would not even know the term.

That might leave you having to make patterns yourself and buying the hogshair by the yard and taking /sending it somewhere to have edges serged.

Proper carpet is surely going to finish off this now-great example.

Perhaps it would be worth a phone call to Collector's Auto Supply to actually talk to him (I recall name Jim) to discuss pattern and if he has a hogshair source. https://collectorsautosupply.com/interior/carpet/ When his company was smaller he was very approachable. Hope still true.