Surfboard rack for a 47 Chevy Fleetmaster Woodie

awk409ak

Hi Art,

This is my 1947 Pontiac Woodie with a roof rack from a DeSoto Traveler.  The stanchions are solid brass and plate fantastically, the pipes between the stanchions are 5/8" stainless steel piping that I bought at McMaster Carr.  The original rack was too short for my car, so I elongated it with new side pipes.  The wood slat base (which you probably will not need for a surfboard rack) is the original width metal base with longer ash strips, varnished.  The stanchions are sometimes available on eBay or at flea markets, or possibly still in salvage yards.

Philimage.jpeg.3cc6f0e4a79700c3ab7b09f9eb758017.jpegimage.jpeg.6d46a32da9b91b4da093d643cc1d9768.jpeg

Attaching a bracket directly to the wood is your only option without a gutter. I would have built a bracket that attached under the upholstery with a tab of some sort to attach a roof rack too that came out just under the molding, probably out of stainless. Could attach something to the exposed wood, and might be able to make something reasonably inconspicuous. I wouldn't go through the upholstery, but I guess you could if you wanted to.

Is it just the lighting or angle? Something odd appears to be going on under the upholstery. Is the roof framing still original?

• Like 1

I should have added that my brackets are bolted through the roof.  I put a solid piece of ash below the rood slats running between the cross ribs and screwed through the brackets into "T" nuts in the ash.  It turned out that the front bracket started past the headliner, so I didn't have to deal with that.  Now, granted, I'm not carrying anything of substance on it, but it has transported a pretty good size National Woodie Club sandwich board that I use at local shows with aplomb.

• Like 1