24 special six gasket questions.

I bought a gasket kit from olsens. This is the intake/ exhaust gasket that came with it. When I had disassembled the engine it had individual gaskets for each hole. The new gasket looks like it will do a good job of sealing the manifolds, but I'm concerned about looking original. Any opinions on this? 

20230618_122231.jpg.bef05fa2a20d731027af6d1b4d58a62c.jpg

On the two small metal pieces at either end of the cylinders, is there a gasket or anything to seal this opening? Its showing daylight at all sides of the plate. Im not sure how much oil gets up here, but surely it will be leaking out of both sides? I could probably cut some cork to seal this a little better. 20230618_122203.jpg.7773fcf738349f4c30bbb9b31158b970.jpg20230618_122157.jpg.4501f3c260650f049edf0090e89d7398.jpg

I used two Olsen manifold gaskets on my GE six that had the individual seals for each port originally. The first one leaked exhaust at each end where there is no stud like on later style manifolds. So I got a second gasket and had the manifold faced to make sure it was flat. The second gasket worked no better than the first. I ended up with exhaust leaks at the end ports.  So I finally sourced nos individual gaskets for the manifold . Now there are no leaks. The original type gaskets are no longer made and hard to find but they are what the manifold was designed for.

Do you have pictures or know that material / thickness of the original gaskets? I would like to not put this one on if I don't have to. 

Also, any information on the gaskets or lack of at either end of the cylinders? 

Thanks in advance

The originals appeared to be made of copper and asbestos. They are slightly cup like. The coper ring sits in a recess in the manifold of each port. I think the flat gasket would work fine if there were bolts at the end of the manifold like in later manifolds. This would hold the ends tight. Sorry i did not take a picture of the original type before I put them in.

Part number for the port gasket is 16967 (qty 6)

These used an alignment ring too that kept the gasket in place - part number 16966 (qty 6)

• 2 weeks later...