Sticking vibrator . . . (RADIO vibrator)

The other day my otherwise perfectly working sonomatic tube (1951) radio decided not to play. I removed the fuse at the back of the radio & sure enough, it was blown. I replaced it, but I'm getting a loud buzzing over the radio's reception.<BR>The manual says that the fuse blowing & the buzzing can be caused by a "stuck vibrator," and to 'give it a knock it to loosen it up.'<BR>The problem is, they don't tell you where the damned thing is, or what it looks like! Since the days of vibrators (RADIO vibrators) seems to be well passed, I was hoping someone on this forum (spelled a-n-c-i-e-n-t ) might be able to shed some light on this matter.<BR>Is this part located in the radio case? Do I have to remove the radio and/or the case to get to it, or can I just give some external portion of the case somewhere a good knock with a tool with the butt of a screwdriver?<BR>All help would be appreciated.<BR>Remember that this forum is rated 'G'<BR>-Rich rolleyes.gif" border="0

'give it a knock to loosen it up.'....worth a try. Anyhow the vibrator is a metal cylinder (if you pull it out it has 3 or 4 pins) next to the power transformer , the largest metal cube in the case...this looking at the tube side which can be accessed in some radios without removing the radio. The vibrator functions to convert your 6 volts DC to AC which is jumped to about 100 volts AC by the power transformer, then it is turned back to 100 volts DC by the rectifier tube.........<BR>More information than you need? Everytime I had trouble with a vibrator it needed to be replaced. Most vintage radio repair places can sell you a solid state vibrator substitute. (vibrator substitute is redundant since a vibrator IS a substitute!!)<BR>Willie.... Never been accused of being 'G' rated

Antique Automobile Radio in Palm Harbor, Florida manufactures the vibrator replacements found at most shops through out the country. They also have a warehouse full of NOS tubes, etc. The phone number is 800-933-4926.<BR>Incidently, they also can convert your entire radio over to modern electronics, with an FM band, and it looks ABSOLUTELY ORIGINAL. The stock AM face is retained, so you turn the radio on and it's on FM, click the knob off-on again, and it's AM. When he does a radio, the case, face, dials, knobs, lense, and push buttons are all restored perfectly. The cost is around $300. He can also install a hook up for a seperate trunk- or underseat-mounted CD player.<BR>I had him do the radio in my '54 Buick. It's set up so the FM is stereo and adjustable R/L, Front/Rear, and the AM only comes out the original speaker in the dash.<BR>He'll also restore your radio back to original, with new tubes, wiring, etc. if you want.<BR>He does all makes, models and years. It's the cat's as...um, it's really cool.