1940 Buick rear shocks

Charles2

On my car, the rear shock lever pins are rattling in the eyes of the lever-to-frame links. There should be a rubber bushing in the eye of the link but I can't figure out how it would be held in place; there is just the pin rattling loose in the eye. No bolt. Were the link and lever vulcanized together when they were made? Or, was the bushing pressed into the link and the pin just pressed into the eye? If the latter, it seems to be kind of a loosey-goosey arrangement. So, can anyone tell me (A) how it was done, and (B) where to get the parts? Both old shaky and I thank you.

yes, they were press in. Over time they get hard as rocks and break apart and fall out.

Some people drill out the rod and install a long bolt with a big washer on the end.

You can get the new bushing for bob's or cars..... look on the BCA web page, under "other links".

usually, the bushing get hard, and with a worn suspension, you fill the back seat with people and the rod pops out.

that's will solve your problem.

The part you are referring to is the shock link. They are available from Bob's Automobilia in California. I believe the rubber bushing is vulcanized into the metal link, so you cannot replace just the bushing. CARS, Inc. also carries the shock links, but they were out of stock when I ordered some for my '50 earlier this month, and no word on when they would get some more, so try Bob's Automobilia.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Ector, Texas

Well, I've tried to order new shock links from both CARS, Inc. and Bob's Automobilia, and both places are out of stock. Bob told me this week that they aren't being made anymore, so he cannot even order any. If anyone knows of a source, I need both rear shock links for my 1950 Special.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

pphillips@netexas.net

Ector, Texas

Thanks again for the information. I did try Bobs and found out that they no longer carried the links. I'm not sure whether it was all shock links or just the ones for the 1940 vintage. I'll try the folks at Buick World. Thanks for the tip. If all else fails, I'll just wrap duct tape around the stud and replace it a lot. Wish me luck!

I placed an order for '40 shock links and other parts from Bob,s and he wrote back to order them in September. I was wondering if you have to remove the gas tank to replace them? It looks like you would have to unless you are using an air ratchet which I don't have. Can anyone tell me the best way to replace them?

Thanks,

Woody Michel BCA #26487

'40 Buick Roadmaster Coupe

My 1940 is a Special 4-door and getting the links out looks to be a pretty straightforward job with no need to pull the tank. I suspect that I'm lucky in this regard. I'll be watching to see what comes up with the Roadmaster. That is a really classy car even if the shock links are hard to replace. Good luck.

Chuck Grier

Sahuarita, AZ

• 2 months later...

This info may be a little late. Kanter autoparts (www.kanter.com) has the shock links for the 1940 special. I purchased a set a few weeks ago. They are proud of them too. As far as removing and replacing them, I just wedged a box end wrench against the frame and used a bolt in the hole where the pin used to be to unscrew them. Hope this helps.

Kevin

KEV987,

Thanks for the info. I had checked with Kanters and at the time they said they didn't have the links. I located a set of NOS links for a reasonable price and I'm rolling again. Now, I need to replace the shocks; they work but they leak.