Placement of hydraulic drum brake shoes on 1929 Kissel 8-95 Roadster

DBKissel

Looking for help to determine the correct primary and secondary shoe placement.  These are 4 wheel Lockheed internal drum brakes and I seem to find 50% of articles say to put the long shoe on the front side of the wheel while the others say put on rear side.  The Lockheed setup has fixed pivot points at the bottom and the wheel cylinder at top.  Can anyone say with all certainty if the long shoe should be on front or rear side?  Here is what it looks like.  I am starting to question the work of previous owners.  Thx for any thoughts! Leftrearwheelwithnotes.png.fbcac4497987ef2c2e1edb47b15f2fe1.png

I was taught in high school auto mechanics primaries are always in the back.  That held true for the contemporary cars I worked on starting in the mid 1960's.  Then there are the pictures of my 1931 Buick, which is still wearing it's original all mechanical brakes, arranged just like the illustrations in the service manual and the rears adhere to that philosophy but it appears Buick didn't get the memo or at least are sitting on the fence with the front brakes.  The Buick specs and adjustments manual states the large shoes are effective in cancelling forward motion of the car and shorter shoes are more effective in reverse.

In the first picture we have a rear brake and front of car is to the right in picture.  Primary brake shoe on the rear.

Brakes 084.jpg

The front brake does not follow the same philosophy, primary brake shoe is at the top of the backing plate, front of car is to the left.

Brakes 054.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)