1919 dodge

keithr

I have a 1919 Dodge Brothers Touring Car with a #358111 engine and a serial #306527. I have some questions about the parts on the car and if they were original to the car. The tires I now have on the car are 20" ( is that standard?). The speedometer cable now goes through the floor, directly from the floor to the speedometer, it seems to me originally the cable would have another route. I'm also wondering how to turn on the brake lights? When I step on the brake the lights don't come on and my manuel says there should be a rear signal lamp switch. What so I need in the brake light? Do I need to have one or two bulbs in the tail light? What about the running light and a stop light? Are these parts hard to find? I'm currently using mechanics instruction manuel for Dodge Brothers and Graham Brothers trucks 1915 - 1927. I'm using the diagram on page # 61. Thanks for all your help, I find everyone in the Dodge Brothers restoration program very helpful. Thanks, Keith Renno

Guest leadfoot

Well Keith -

Your tires should be 32 x 4, which I believe translates into a 24 inch wheel. So you have the wrong wheels and tires. Plus the correct tire is a high pressure (50 lbs) not a balloon type.

The speedo cable correctly descends straight down from the dash unit through the floor. Fairly primitive, but straight forward.

Brake lights - there is no brake light for '19 DBs, unless you have an aftermarket unit like I do. The correct setup on the rear tire carrier cross bar should be an E&J tail light, which has a celluloid insert for lighting the license plate. I believe that the '19s had a Clum switch on the dash, which had a setting for "running lights" and full lights.

The diagram on p. 61 you mentioned reflects a 1924 model set up, not the earlier car. You need to get an original "Book of Information" for your car, which is the DB owner's manual. The repro Mechanic's book has useful info, but you need to be aware of the differences in the model year applications.

And you need to join the DB Club, if you haven't already. There is a back issue club news article about how to modify the E&J tail light to make it into a dual purpose warning and stop light. For any stop light application, you will need to come up with a 12 volt switch that works mechanically off the brake pedal.

There are at least three mail order suppliers of many parts, and specialty vendors that carry items useful for your car. And amazingly, NAPA has some items that you can use - i.e. I bought correct Champion plugs (wrong plating) for my car - special order from the regional warehouse with one day delivery.

Hi nearchoclatetown,

The wheels are wooden spoke. I saw 4 wooden spoke wheels on e-bay last week from a 1922 DB's. But I'm not sure what condition they are in(seller thinks they would be o.k.) I'm located 50 miles north of Harrisburg.

Thanks, Keith

Hi leadfoot,

Yes I do belong to the DB club. I probably won't modify the tail light. I'm working on getting a 1919 manual. Just as I thought the wheels and tires should be different.What do you mean by a high pressure tire (50lbs.)not a balloon type. As you may have seen I live 50 miles north of Harrisburg,Pa. Thanks for the information.

Keith

Guest leadfoot

To set the record straight. According to all the literature, up to and including the 1923 models on the 114" passenger chasis - DB used 32 x 4 high pressure tires. Balloon tires appeared on DBs in the 1924 models.

The Michelin/Budd disc wheels were first used on DBs in late 1921/1922. As of 1923, only the Type A sedan was factory equipped with disc wheels. All the other models, including business cars were equipped with wood wheels with steel felloes. But I have pictures of custom bodied passenger and commercial vehicles in 1923 with disc wheels.

Air pressure specs for the 32 x 4 tires varied by body style - touring + roadster + coupe 50# front/55# rear, sedan 55# f./60# r., commercial car 45# f./55# r.

DB Commercial cars were built on the passenger chassis. Graham Brothers trucks used larger tires and higher pressures.

Keith,

I would like to correct some information given in some of the responses to your inquiry. The early DB's used 33x4 tires on 25" wood spoke wheels thru the 1920 model year, switching to 32x4 tires on 24" wheels in 1921. My master parts book seems to indicate they were 32x4 from the beginning but I have 3 other sources that say 33x4 plus I have 2 '20s and they both use 33x4 tires. So go figure?

Larry

Hi Larry,

I would bet you are right on the 33" by 4" tires. Do you have any idea where I might be able to find the wheels for the 1919. I'm in no big hurry to change the tire or wheels. I brought the car for fun and thought it might be nice to upgrade if I get a chance. It looks like the car is orginial,except for the wheels and tires. Maybe the speedometer isn't orginial.

Thanks for your help, Keith Renno

Kieth,

Sorry, I don't have any spare wheels. I do have an extra rim I could part with, though. This forum and the DB club classified page are your best bets. If you can make it to the '03 DB Intn'l Tour in Woodland, CA, in June, you will have a chance to interface with a lot of members with a lot of contacts. Also, the DB club roster is a good source to start networking from. Good luck with your search. Larry

Hi Larry,

I will not be able to make the the show in Woodland California, but it sounds like a great show. I think the idea that you have for placing and ad in the DB classied page is a good one. If you get a chance tell them someone from Middleburg,Pa. is looking for wheels for the 1919 DB,it would be appreciated. That rim might help save the day, but if anyone else could use it don't hold it for me.

Thanks for all the information, Cheers, Keith Renno

Guest leadfoot

wattslm -

The Master Parts List (through early '27) is hard to decipher in general and is especially hard to figure out regarding wheels and tires. Must be that they didn't intend to help us restorers much!

But examining the high pressure tire parts pages and the photos in that section, it appears that DBs produced prior to May 1921 (at serial #586xxx) did have 25 inch wheels. However it also appears the cars were equipped with 32" x 3-1/2" tires, not 33" x 4". My guess is that aftermarket replacement tires were 33" x 4" back then and that is what's available today. For sure you can put oversize tires on both the 25" and 24" wheels. For example; 500 x 24" currently available low pressure tires have been sold as replacements for years.

Again from the Master, it is hard to determine exactly when the low pressure tires were started as original equipment. DB shows 31" x 5.25" tires as being introduced in Jan. '26 and the 30" x 5.77 balloon tires supposedly were introduced in Jan. '24 with the "Specials", although the Master doesn't indicate this, but does indicate a wheel change in Nov. '24.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering what colour the 1918 wooden wheels were painted? I need to repaint my roadster wheels from many previous re-paintings. And engine colour of paint use in 1918 was what? Mine is light blue but it seems strange. Where are these facts to be found? Is there some available book etc that can be bought?

Harry

• 7 years later...
Guest J Parks

I purchased a 1919 DB touring car a few years back. I found out yesterday the car is a 1920. The tires on this car are 33 X 4 as yours were. Question is did DB have different tires from 1919 to 1920? Tire pressure says to put 50 pounds in these as well. Jim.