Help finding part/work around. Coolant/Heater Outlet pipe.

PaulP117

Hey AACA, so while working on my 91 Reatta i ended up foolishly bending the outlet pipe (labeled pipe #2) for the water pump causing it to crack where the rubber seal sits on the pipe and no matter what i tried i couldn't get the pipe to fit snug inside its slot again or simply stop leaking. At this point the old pipe is just beyond usable, unless i were to grind the end back to being flat so it fits flush inside the block or something. Either way i am desprate for some ideas of what i can do to either try and find this part (there are no buicks with the 3800 in any junkyards near me) or if anyone has any ideas how i can work around it, or some kind of aftermarket pipe or fitting maybe that would fit and i could connect right to the rubber hose the outlet pipe connected to previously. I am just at such a loss trying to figure it out if yall have some ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Oh and i did manage to find a part number for it, but still using the part number yielded no results. Heater Outlet Pipe - 24503161.

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

Edited by PaulP117 (see edit history)

I would contact Jim Finn in the vendors list at the top of this forum. Great guy to deal with. I am pretty sure pipe #2 is the same for the LN3 and the L27 you have. Also believe pipe #1 is different between the two engines.

• Like 1

The 3800 from any GM car will have the part.... since it is a 1991 that would be an "L" engine which started in 

1991 (I am not home to see if the same part was used on the '88-90 engine.    Chevy, Olds, Pontiac and Buick all 

used the same engine.

22 hours ago, 2seater said:

I would contact Jim Finn in the vendors list at the top of this forum. Great guy to deal with. I am pretty sure pipe #2 is the same for the LN3 and the L27 you have. Also believe pipe #1 is different between the two engines.

Ill defintely have to try and shoot Jim an email and see if he can help with that part. Worst case scenario yeah like Barney was suggesting ill just have to go hunting for all the other make and model GM cars that had the 3800, and i do belive while searching for the part it was different on the older reattas but i could always be mistaken since i dont have the older service manual on hand just googles documents on them.

I went out and looked at the two engines on stands, one has the LN3 intake and the other is the TPI from a L27. The pipe that connects to the front cover behind the water pump, pipe #2, is the same on both engines. The pipe that connects to the intake manifold near the bypass hose, pipe #1, is similar but different. The water ports on the intake manifold for the pipe and the bypass hose are reversed left to right when looking at the front of the engine, and they also vary slightly in height above the centerline. In short, the LN3 and L27 are identical on the front of the engine except for the intake manifold plumbing.

• Like 1

Oh thank you for checking that out! Yeah that's perfect then for making my junkyard search a bit wider, incase i cant find any L27 engines around near me now i can look for the LN3 as well