6 to 12 volt conversion

Hi All,

Have any of you guys made this voltage change over?  Well i have been thinking about it and I was looking on Ebay for parts. They have a complete changeover kit for my 41 Ford and it was like $957 and I can't handle that right now. Is that a more simple changeover that cheaper to buy and do? Just asking...

Why?   You will see may topics like this on the forum.  The general response is to ask why you want do make the change.   Typically the reason is slow starter or some other problem with the existing 6V system.   The responses will be something like find and fix the problem with the existing system.  You will be better off.  

If you tell us what is going wrong you will get some good advice on how to fix it. 

As an admission, I converted one of my cars from 6V to 12V with electronic ignition years ago.  I really regret doing that and I know better now.

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Why?   You will see may topics like this on the forum.  The general response is to ask why you want do make the change.   Typically the reason is slow starter or some other problem with the existing 6V system.   The responses will be something like find and fix the problem with the existing system.  You will be better off.  

If you tell us what is going wrong you will get some good advice on how to fix it. 

As an admission, I converted one of my cars from 6V to 12V with electronic ignition years ago.  I really regret doing that and I know better now.

Well, Thanks for your response... Yes, the why is slow start and whenever I take it out for a little ride and sometimes my wife is with me. Anyway if I stop someplace and turn it off it never wants to start again and have to bum a jump. Starter turns real slow until I jump it. This gets very frustrating and frankly I'm getting tired of it. And no, I do believe there is not anything else wrong with. It runs good and charges. I am 70 and I used to work on these old cars long ago. When I Jump it with my truck or my charger on boost it turns faster and starts in two or three turns. So, Yes I want a 12 volt system.  Problem solved. Unless some very nice person gives me another idea that will work.

Your description sounds like you have insufficient amperage to turn the engine when it has higher compression caused by the engine being hot. You either need a good 6 volt battery to replace your weak battery, or more likely you need to clean all of the connectors in the battery cable circuit. 6 volt systems will act just like that when they have too much resistance in the starter circuit, caused by corrosion or loose connectors. If the battery cables have been replaced with modern thinner cables, they could also be the problem. Typical modern thinnner battery cables sold in chain auto parts stores are designed for 12 volts and will also cause that type of problem. Old cables which have too much internal resistance can also cause that type of problem. If you check out the system and correct the problem it will probably be a better and cheaper fix than trying to "improve" it by conversion to 12 volts. I have driven 6 volt cars for many years and many miles. They work fine as long as the starter circuit cables and connections have good properly sized cables with clean tight connections and a good 6 volt battery. When you jump start it, you are overcoming the excess resistance caused by a problem in the circuit. Correct the problem and your car will start reliably as it did when it was new.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Your description sounds like you have insufficient amperage to turn the engine when it has higher compression caused by the engine being hot. You either need a good 6 volt battery to replace your weak battery, or more likely you need to clean all of the connectors in the battery cable circuit. 6 volt systems will act just like that when they have too much resistance in the starter circuit, caused by corrosion or loose connectors. If the battery cables have been replaced with modern thinner cables, they could also be the problem. Typical modern thinnner battery cables sold in chain auto parts stores are designed for 12 volts and will also cause that type of problem. Old cables which have too much internal resistance can also cause that type of problem. If you check out the system and correct the problem it will probably be a better and cheaper fix than trying to "improve" it by conversion to 12 volts. I have driven 6 volt cars for many years and many miles. They work fine as long as the starter circuit cables and connections have good properly sized cables with clean tight connections and a good 6 volt battery. When you jump start it, you are overcoming the excess resistance caused by a problem in the circuit. Correct the problem and your car will start reliably as it did when it was new.  

Okay, Yes that makes sense. I will do everything you suggested and see what I end up with. Thank you for the advice! I'll try it!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, johns29 said:

Okay, Yes that makes sense. I will do everything you suggested and see what I end up with. Thank you for the advice! I'll try it!!

Just two weeks ago we dealt with this exact problem on a late 30s car.   Engine barely turned over.  We replaced a really crappy looking cable and cleaned the ground contact which had paint on it.   The engine spun over like a champ.

What Matt said above is 100% what you want to do.  Check the cables first to make sure they are the correct.  Use a minimum of 00.  Many 6 volt cars have received 12 volt cables over the years.  Then the ground and terminal, then the battery,  finally the starter.

• Like 1