Info needed on 1926 Model A coupe

Fordy

I have the sad remains of what is apparently the sole surviving 1926 Model A Hupp coupe on the Australian mainland (there is a restored one in Tasmania). There is a lot missing from this car, but I have a lot of surplus model R and was wondering if any components "carried over" to the A series. I would also appreciate if anyone can furnish me with chassis dimensions and other relevant detail I need to reconstruct the vehicle. I have sourced a 1929 engine and gearbox, but this is missing generator, starter, distributor etc. What types were they and their usage on other makes? I believe what I have is currently sitting on an incorrect chassis and is also missing front and rear ends. Any guidance in putting the wreck back together without using parts from other makes to get this up and running would be appreciated. My experience is only with the model R and am quite ignorant when it comes to the A.

• 4 weeks later...

Photo of the Tasmanian car.

I have discovered that all A series sat on the same wheelbase chassis and have now located one a very long way from home. (24hr+ drive each way). I have made arrangements to collect this and some other A series parts, plus I will be delivering some R series bits and pieces off along the way. The trip involves driving from Adelaide in South Australia inland via the NSW Riverina district to Brisbane in Queensland for the chassis. Then I will be heading down over the border to the North and Central coast regions of NSW collecting wheels and mechanical parts and then skirting around Sydney to Melbourne for more parts of the puzzle before I head home. I expect to be "on the road " for 2-3 weeks. If anyone is somewhere near the path outlined and has parts for A or needs parts for R Hupps give me a PM before I head off in Early August and we can arrange a meet up.

356598925_1230430264295628_6776806476601375994_n.jpg

• 3 months later...

I now have enough to make a start. My big issue from here will be reconstruction of the rumble lid and rear of the body as this has been cut to fit a pickup box.

So some photos with measurements are being sought to guide the process. I have some very basic guides left intact on the body but I would like to get the end result as close as I can to how it should be.

Thanks

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks 29hupp. I have starter on generator on a '26 engine and gearbox that I recently acquired - condition as yet unknown. The generator setup looks similar to the Westinghouse unit as fitted to my R series cars. I have a couple i purchased at a swap that I need to compare to the A series unit as the gear protrudes further than the R units - they were cheap and looked a match, so I grabbed them and got them working - apparently a Chrysler 60 series after some research. It will be interesting to see them side by side with the A unit.

I have just about all that is needed except a gas tank cap and 1 hubcap that I am aware of - I will probably find more absent items as the build starts. I am mostly after dimensional data and clear photos or drawings of the rear of the car showing the area below the rumble seat and another with rumble lid and hinge details so I can fabricate a facsimile of what is missing. Templates would also be of a great assistance.

Currently re-wooding the steering wheel as a "now for something completely different" exercise. Work on the coupe will / should start in earnest early 2024 after I get a Triumph Spitfire completed and running properly.

Steve