1925 Buick standard oil leak from water pump shaft

Stephen Daley

There are no seals. There are deflection ring grooves cut into the coupler. This is lubricated from a brass tube to keep the sump partially full. At the center of the bearing there is a notch and within there is a "dancing" oiler ring. As things wear the oil tends to seep out. Several cars I have seen including my 1925 Master someone removed the brass screw plug, installed a grease fitting and now being greased instead of oiled. I know you have a right hand drive car but the bearing and cap seem to be reversed.

DSCF7580.JPG.69c763e84f0e75793fde4f2ac875c190.JPGMy 1925 Standard.

Rebuiltpumpinstalled.jpg.b43328e8d32c7ea111c4a7265cea352d.jpg

My master pump that I made a new Stainless Steel shaft and new bushings for installed 3 weeks ago.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stephen, 

Going to provide to you several pictures.

Notice in the first 2 pictures that I used a bead of Permatex #2 on the bearing cap to try to make an oil seal between the outside of the brass bearing and the cast iron holder.  I don't know if the factory ever did this, but I thought it would do a little for oil control.  

IMG_8151.JPG.8778e3c74202ede00da33c46c044b28f.JPGIMG_8153.JPG.07bb478d84b2861b8ead1f7160f53745.JPG

It does seem that the screw in the bearing cap goes on the outside, but it also has to fit in the bronze bearing one way, so see how it does rotated.

LYGT7996.jpg.32cce760cd323f49ac6c39e180dce48c.jpg 

Also as a check, there is a "Ring of brass" used as an oil splasher.  There is one inside each water pump shaft bearing.  These are often lost.  If you need dimensions on these rings, I do have them.    

WP8WaterPumpAssembly.JPG.56febbe75d2da289b24ae15dc5d71dbd.JPGWaterPumpparts-highres.JPG.30e9b210cbd55bf7fe4948099d8b8431.JPG

Please use the AACA Forum "Buick Pre War" section for your questions if you want quicker responses.    Hugh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2023 at 12:18 AM, Hubert_25-25 said:

Stephen, 

Notice in the first 2 pictures that I used a bead of Permatex #2 on the bearing cap to try to make an oil seal between the outside of the brass bearing and the cast iron holder.  I don't know if the factory ever did this, but I thought it would do a little for oil control.  

IMG_8151.JPG.8778e3c74202ede00da33c46c044b28f.JPGIMG_8153.JPG.07bb478d84b2861b8ead1f7160f53745.JPG

It does seem that the screw in the bearing cap goes on the outside, but it also has to fit in the bronze bearing one way, so see how it does rotated.

Also as a check, there is a "Ring of brass" used as an oil splasher.  There is one inside each water pump shaft bearing.  These are often lost.  If you need dimensions on these rings, I do have them.    

WP8WaterPumpAssembly.JPG.56febbe75d2da289b24ae15dc5d71dbd.JPGWaterPumpparts-highres.JPG.30e9b210cbd55bf7fe4948099d8b8431.JPG

Please use the AACA Forum "Buick Pre War" section for your questions if you want quicker responses.    Hugh

Thanks of the information sorry it has taken a bit I didn’t know that anyone had replied 

thanks👍🏻

On 6/4/2023 at 12:18 AM, Hubert_25-25 said:

Stephen, 

Thanks for the information sorry it has been a bit I didn’t know anyone had replied and I’m still learning how to us this site 

thanks 👍🏻

Just now, Stephen Daley said:

Thanks of the information sorry it has taken a bit I didn’t know that anyone had replied 

thanks👍🏻

Thanks for the information sorry it has been a bit I didn’t know anyone had replied and I’m still learning how to us this site 

thanks 👍🏻

Hubard I have put some sealent on the top cap and I’m interested as to the location of the screw on the cap I see yours are different to mine I will remove it and see if I can change it but I’m thinking that the locking dowel won’t let me 👍🏻

The bearing only has one hole for the locking tab.  You can install the bearing either way so their is no wrong answer.  It just puts the cap on in the other direction.  So if you are trying to minimize oil leakage on this rear bearing, you have to put sealant between the outside of the bearing and the holder on the block, and the cap.  Like my pictures show.  Then it will depend on how much the bearing itself is worn as to how much oil leaks out.  I have seen the plug replaced with a grease fitting.  That won't really do you much good.      

5 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

The bearing only has one hole for the locking tab.  You can install the bearing either way so their is no wrong answer.  It just puts the cap on in the other direction.  So if you are trying to minimize oil leakage on this rear bearing, you have to put sealant between the outside of the bearing and the holder on the block, and the cap.  Like my pictures show.  Then it will depend on how much the bearing itself is worn as to how much oil leaks out.  I have seen the plug replaced with a grease fitting.  That won't really do you much good.      

Sorry like I have said I’m still trying to use this page 😂

I have removed the top cap and I’m not able to turn it around as the bearing block  locating Hole is on the front side of the motor 

I have put sealant on it and put it around the bottom part of the bearing housing to try and slow it down just to get it through a road worthy inspection until I get time to sort it out properly 

cheers for the info mate 👍🏻

5 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

• Like 2