55 Hudson Wasp Generator Capacitor

supercub

My generator has a capacitor wired to the red lead and looks like its original. It measures 62 mf. Is this fitted for radio interference reduction or is it necessary for proper generator functioning? If needed, should I replace it with a standard ignition capacitor? 

image.jpg

The red lead is the big lead right?

Yes, it's for radio interference. No it is not necessary. There are no replacements I know of, at least not original looking types. Electrically there are probably all sorts of substitutes that look different. Capacitance is the most important rating of a capacitor (condenser). I would imagine the capacitance is the most they could stuff in the can, unlike an ignition condenser which needs to have a specific capacitance to prevent metal transfer on the points. That's just a guess. Maybe it is real similar. I don't see how you could hurt anything by putting an ignition condenser there. How do you know it is bad? Is it getting hot?

EDIT: I missed the 62mf the first time I read your post. That can't be. Those noise suppression condensers are paper/foil construction and in 1955 62mf would have been bigger than the generator. 0.62 maybe? Twice or three times as big as a typical ignition condenser if so. Maybe I guessed right about them putting in all they could. On the other hand, what did you measure it with? Multimeters usually do a terrible job of this.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes .62, good catch.  Most ignition caps are about .22 that Ive seen. The values climb when they go bad. My radio isnt working so I could take it out and put the screw back in until I fix it one of these days. It looks like the lead could short out as the insulation is deteriorated. 

• Like 1