Stuck gasket on V.W. carb.

Buick35

On my son's 69 V.W. that I'm trying to rebuild I'm really having trouble separating the plastic or phenolic spacer on his carburetor to install a new gasket which seemed to be leaking air when I tried cleaning out the passages with carb.cleaner and compressed air.I might have ruined the spacer trying to separate it so I ordered new ones.What can I use to help dissolve the gaskets or how to separate the spacer.Thanks.

Never ran into this, my guess is someone glued them together with gasket shellac or some such substance. I would try separating them with a single edge razor blade or sharp knife blade then try Goo Gone, lacquer thinner or whatever will dissolve or soften any residue. Or scrape or sand it off. Put it together with a gasket and no sealer of any kind.

Thanks but I had a senior moment.My son came by and I told him of the problem and he looked at the bottom of the carburetor and said" what about those two screws"? I said duh, boy did I feel dumb! But I made and installed a new gasket and blew air through the hole and it seems not to be leaking. Not sure if I should use the phenolic spacers I ordered or not. They would raise he carburetors up 1/4" more

Edited by Buick35
Spelling (see edit history)

The big problem I remember with Kadrons is catching fire. I seem to recall, the fuel lines were rather hit or miss and could come off or break, spraying the hot engine with gasoline. If I were using a set I think I would find a way to fit hard steel lines,securely fastened, and any rubber lines would be high pressure and secured with good hose clamps.

Then there was the problem of tuning but that is a separate issue.