Brought A 1918 Maxwell 25 Roadster

supercub

Im going to look a 16 Maxwell that is a yard runner. It looks to have all running gear and it hasnt been hacked. From shat I can see from the pics it needs the correct fan belt and a radiator cap.  Would I be able to find a match with an industrial flat belt? It doesnt have a spare so I would want to obtain one. Would I just need a clincher rim with a preinstalled tire to swap if I got a flat?

Anything specific to these cars I should look at?

Edited by supercub (see edit history)

Some 1916-17 Maxwell's left the factory  with over hardened ring gears and started shedding teeth almost immediately.  It took me the contents of 10 differentials to get enough good parts to restore my rear end. The dash panel with cutout and regulator, starter/generator and starter switch are more complicated than most period cars and replacement parts for these are very hard to find. If your car has a Simms magneto look inside the frame rail next to it to see if the intensifying coil is there. I have only ever seen one. If your car is missing the coil I'd reccommend replacing the magneto with the later Atwater-Kent distributorand coil. There is one on eBay right now. Yes the spare is a clincher rim with tire installed. There are some Maxwell's that have an odd complete wheel that is held on with 3 bolts and  require a complete wheel and tire combination to be carried.

Howard Dennis

Howard Dennis, the seller stated that the car had its magneto removed snd a distributor was put in its place. From the pics I cant tell if the dash controls are present but I fiund some pics of the dash control and coil on an old post. This pic is from the listing but when I see the car I can see whats going on.

0212432F-5F36-4804-9810-0C512DD26F85.jpeg

I will check the rear end as best able, listen for grinding noises. I found this pic of a control panel in an old post. Seems the tires size is the same as a Model T, easy to find, but the clincher rim may be a hunt.

D7D29927-3824-4F90-BBDE-F834976BA22F.png

28 minutes ago, supercub said:

I will check the rear end as best able, listen for grinding noises. I found this pic of a control panel in an old post. Seems the tires size is the same as a Model T, easy to find, but the clincher rim may be a hunt.

D7D29927-3824-4F90-BBDE-F834976BA22F.png

Rims should be Jaxon and turn up occasionally. I have used Model T Ford rims by knocking off the lugs in a bind but they lack the anti-spin indentation.

Howard Dennis100_9846.jpg.60c9c54f21a14baaf671e5f47b4eeb67.jpg100_9847.jpg.416ddb6277443d5550c1a127d709902e.jpg

31 minutes ago, supercub said:

This is the dash. It looks a little different than the ones Ive seen pics of. The fuel filler has a Y shape and it looks like it doesnt have the ammeter and fuel sight glass on the left.

I'm not seeing anything??

Howard Dennis

Thanks for the info, I' ll get the VIN. Going tomorrow to see it. The VIN should be on the right rear crossmember.
 The filler does have a branch that must hold a gauge as the 1918 model describes. I was just planning out storage for it and the extra 5" of wheelbase adds to the challenge.

Supercub, forget about looking for a Jaxon rim. If I'm seeing correctly your carhas the odd wheels held on by 3 bolts. I can't seem to prove or disprove if these are factory mounted. I can't find any literature that mentions them other than aftermarket listing of the period. So they could be factory or dealer or owner installed. yours is about the fourth car I've seen equipped with them.  

Howard Dennis1917Maxwell22.jpg.cc93adfbea38588f3357e21ba177b0fc.jpgs-l1600.jpg.92000a034651571e5e22a87e95b2237b.jpgScreenshot2021-10-29004245(2).jpg.1cbdda108cb62b35ad739f0a26934b68.jpg

• supercub changed the title to Brought A 1918? Maxwell 25 Roadster

From what I could find the majority of Rayfields were aftermarket, would depend on what the model is as some were factory mounted on a few cars. That may be an original coil as 1918 was the first fully 12 volt Maxwell's. My late 1917 has 2 6 volt batteries, starts on 12 runs and charges on  6 volt.

Howard Dennis

So if its a 12V system I can use the battery in it. I will test the coil. I think the Rayfield was on the car but the PE put the Model A carb on it to try the car out. It actually ran pretty good with the A carb on it but I didnt drive the car.

• supercub changed the title to Brought A 1918 Maxwell 25 Roadster