[PHOTO REQUEST] Engine bay photo of 80' Riviera 3.8L V6 Turbocharged.

PauliusB

Hi all,

I've bought my first 1980 Riviera 3.8L V6 Turbo without the engine and currently I am assembling everything in the engine bay. I thought it would be nice to have a clear photo of the engine bay area of a fully built car of this type to have as a reference (especially for tubes/wiring). I found it very hard to find one in the internet. Maybe someone here has a Riviera with these specs and could upload a photo of the engine bay?

Or if you have any tips in this assembling process, I'd appreciate that.

Thank you,

Paulius

Edited by PauliusB (see edit history)

That’s one of the years when the folks in Detroit were trying to meet new emissions standards. There are so many tubes and hoses in these engine bays that I think you’ll need more than a picture to put everything back together. I’m not sure a shop manual will tell you everything. Good luck and keep us posted. When I had my 84 non-turbo 5.0 liter, I never attempted to work on that engine. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RivNut said:

That’s one of the years when the folks in Detroit were trying to meet new emissions standards. There are so many tubes and hoses in these engine bays that I think you’ll need more than a picture to put everything back together. I’m not sure a shop manual will tell you everything. Good luck and keep us posted. When I had my 84 non-turbo 5.0 liter, I never attempted to work on that engine. 

Thank you for your reply! I've managed to connect ±80% of vacuum hoses most likely correctly, but for the rest I'm completely lost, so I guess I'd have to do it trial & error.

Would you have an idea where I could find any manuals for this spec? At least to skim through if I find anything useful. There weren't any when I bought the car.

On 5/15/2023 at 12:01 AM, MikeJS said:

Good day.

Not sure if this is what you're after, found on the ROA website. Hope this helps...

https://rivowners.org/features/evolution/evpt80.html

You may want to consider joining the Riviera Owners Association (ROA), there are a ton of resources available...

image.jpeg.3c4f4d1e1f79e9dd3936d312e0a78d6a.jpeg

Thank you for your reply! Was wondering if you happen to know what this part actually is? Noticed I don't have that
image.png.fb8c2fc87f676f9471b03b6e524fb118.png

33 minutes ago, PauliusB said:

Was wondering if you happen to know what this part actually is?

Good day.

Sorry, no idea specifically, just trying to help when I get a little time, but hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will chime in, but for what it's worth, have a look at the Rock Auto site. They appear to have a pretty complete parts listing many with some photos. Not sure if it'll help or not, but it could be a good resource. Service manuals appear to be available there on CD or on a USB stick. Good luck.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1980,riviera,3.8l+231cid+v6+turbocharged,1021622

Edited by MikeJS (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

Good day.

Sorry, no idea specifically, just trying to help when I get a little time, but hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will chime in, but for what it's worth, have a look at the Rock Auto site. They appear to have a pretty complete parts listing many with some photos. Not sure if it'll help or not, but it could be a good resource. Service manuals appear to be available there on CD or on a USB stick. Good luck.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1980,riviera,3.8l+231cid+v6+turbocharged,1021622

Your link helped a lot, thank you! It seems it might be Air & Smog pump: image.png.73e7c93d6e25aa9e4b0682f638ceec24.png
Although the question is whether it's a necessity. Could it be CA / Non-CA thing at that time because of emission restrictions in CA?

Edited by PauliusB (see edit history)