Selling a Mercedes: Will Two Years Make a Difference?

Ladies and Gentlemen of Distinguished Automobile Taste:

An elderly client has requested my assistance to sell her car, a Mercedes. First, to squelch any sudden and unwarranted rush of excitement, the car is not an antique. However, it will be in two years. Some modest excitement may be enjoyed by some, as the car has had one-owner, the proverbial "little old lady"; it has 69,800 miles; its meticulous care is on record at the local Mercedes dealer, the only service garage to touch the car; it has always been housed in a climate-controlled garage adjoining her home; and it rightfully carries the ambiance of a new car, inside and out, over and under. It is a 2000 Mercedes E320 model, a sedan, 4-wheel-drive, with the higher output V6. 

My dear "little old lady" client is distraught that her dealer offered a mere $5,000 for her car. I engaged a professional automobile appraiser to evaluate her car; alas, the reasonable market value of her car is in the $8,000 to $9,000 range. She remains disappointed that a car that cost $63,000 in late 1999, and was so carefully driven and maintained all these years, could not muster a value of at least $15,000. 

So, knowing my affiliation with the AACA, she asks me these questions: "Should I wait two years to sell this car? Will it be worth more after it's 25 years old?"

My reply to her was, "Let me look into that for you." So, here I am.

My intuition says its value will change little to none in two years, but I have no experience with German automobiles. I petition you for your expertise in this realm, and I thank you in advance for your sage counsel on the owner's behalf. 

A few images of her car should be attached. Besides your advice on the resale potential of her car; if, per chance, there is an interested prospective buyer among you, please contact me. The car is located in northern West Virginia, about 1 hour due south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 

Delivery is available by a fellow AACA member well-experienced in transporting antique cars, namely his own. His service is personal and private, and would be custom tailored to your location and your schedule. Being personal and private, it is also expensive and uninsured. 

20230415_094128.jpg

20230415_093848.jpg

20230415_094034.jpg

20230415_094045.jpg

Private, personal, custom-tailored delivery by fellow auto enthusiast; expensive and uninsured.

Personal_Private_ Expensive_Uninsured.jpg

Edited by OldChargerGuy
caption for hauling photo (see edit history)

I don’t think 2 years will make much difference. To make the most on that car it should be advertised in locations that are specific to Mercedes. With the service history that car has and it’s condition it could bring close to what she wants if marketed to Mercedes enthusiasts. A good place to start would be The Star, the magazine of the Mercedes Benz club, you can advertise in the magazine without being a member. If she wanted to try the auction route try MB Market, a Mercedes only auction site.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/11/2023 at 10:59 PM, vintage1 said:

I don’t think 2 years will make much difference. To make the most on that car it should be advertised in locations that are specific to Mercedes. With the service history that car has and it’s condition it could bring close to what she wants if marketed to Mercedes enthusiasts. A good place to start would be The Star, the magazine of the Mercedes Benz club, you can advertise in the magazine without being a member. If she wanted to try the auction route try MB Market, a Mercedes only auction site.

Thank you for the advice, vintage1. I did look into MB Market; I will try The Star. MB Market wants $100 to list, but I will check their details. 

The car remains unsold and in my garage. I'm surprised it didn't sell quickly, but I am not familiar with the market for these type of cars. 

As it lingers, the profit margin dwindles. I am hopeful to have a net gain to use towards a project.