FS: A Friendly Welcome to the GM Linden Plant 1969 NJ

Harold

Here's a nice original multi-fold brochure that was given to visitors to the GM Linden Assembly Plant in 1969IMG_8117.JPG.45794cfeedde78d527d91ccafb99ca34.JPG.   It explains the carbuilding process and shows the features of the plant.  It's a nice piece of nostalgia for those of us that remember the Linden plant in all its glory. 

It can be yours for $20.00 postpaid in the lower 48 states.  

Thanks,

Harold

IMG_8116.JPG

IMG_8118.JPG

Edited by Harold (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Harold said:

Here's a nice original multi-fold brochure that was given to visitors to the GM Linden Assembly Plant in 1969IMG_8117.JPG.45794cfeedde78d527d91ccafb99ca34.JPG.   It explains the carbuilding process and shows the features of the plant.  It's a nice piece of nostalgia for those of us that remember the Linden plant in all its glory. 

It can be yours for $20.00 postpaid in the lower 48 states.  

Thanks,

Harold

IMG_8116.JPG

IMG_8118.JPG

@Harold

I'LL TAKE IT - PLEASE CONSIDER IT SOLD !

I grew up in the shadow of the Linden GM Assembly Plant - at that time still a Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac (BOP) Assembly operation. 

As a young kid, moving back from Brooklyn to Linden when Dad returned from Seabees WWII service, many days (and just a bit too far from where I was supposed to be) I would hang on the plant fence, dreaming of the day I could drive my own Buick.

I was there the day Jackie Gleason toured the plant, posed for pictures with employees and Mayor Hurst, and drove off in a 1955(?) Buick.

In 1968 and early  1969, I was still working in mid-town Manhattan at IBM Systems Development, and overseeing a major systems conversion for the nation's second largest stock brokerage firm at lower Broadway and Wall Street-

but I was was still living in Colonia, near where I was born and grew up in Linden, NJ.  Dad was a Captain on the Linden Fire Dept.

Anchor Motor Freight was hiring night shift drivers to move new cars from the Gate (where new cars rolled off the assembly line), to the in-plant receiving lot - and the across US-1 and behind Linden Airport to the area where Anchor drivers loaded for delivery to dealerships. 

I drove new B-O-P cars for Anchor at the Linden plant, making extra cash to buy my fiancee a "serious" engagement ring, and continued with them until I moved to Louisiana in 1969. 

I also visited the B-O-P Assembly several times as a kid when Dad and the Chief did fire safety inspections at the plant.

Of additional interest -

The plant was built on the west side of US-1, just south of Stiles Street. 

During WWII the Linden plant was converted to manufacture airplanes for the military, and Linden Airport was supposedly constructed to fly the plane out to their next destination for the war effort.

At midnight, the Highway was shut down and each day's aircraft production was towed across US-1 to the airport.

Many years later, Linden Airport was the scene of some of the earliest USAC auto races, and the series was a parent of NASCAR. 

There again, I hung on the fence to watch the Step-Down Hudsons and Oldsmobile duke it out.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 3