Oil pressure drops when warmed up, engine seems hot too. Anything like an electric inline water pump available?

wayne kinne

My 1924 Hupp will boil the antifreeze after driving for a half hour or so, and the oil pressure drops quite a bit. The top of the radiator is real hot but the bottom is cool. It seems like the natural convection flow is insufficient. Are there inline water pumps made to help the flow? And how low of oil pressure is too low, my gage is L M H and at the L it says stop. My 29 Franklin only needs flow not pressure I'm told, is the 24 4 cylinder Hupp the same?

Thanks

Wayne, Davies Craig do an electric water pump here in Australia - I am not sure of US? Anyway I am running one in an old Ford with thermosyphon cooling and it makes a hell of a difference to the running temperature when it is switched on. They are 12V rated but running on 6V doesn't seem to faze it -Its just slower. Also check out the thread in general discussion titled "Grimy's sock radiator filter", You may need to consider what is discussed there.

Have you tried a heavier oil? Modern multigrades seem to me to not work on older cars. Look for a Penrite distributor and they should have something appropriate.

I really can't remember but it has been on for about 20 years with no issue. Also "Grimys sock" was in technical section.

Hi Fordy, how did you fit it to the car? It looks like the easiest way will be to thread in fittings then enlarge to the 2.25" radiator sizes, will this restrict the flow too much, or will this pump flow be so much more than the convection flow that it will still be a great improvement? Also I am guessing you used flexible hose to make this work in the limited space under thew hood? A picture of your setup would be fantastic.

Below is the pump I purchased, I'm hoping it is similar to the one you are using.

Thanks again.

20230509_073148.jpg

Adding a water pump to a car that didn't have one is a band aide fix.....it probably has a bad radiator. I would flow test it first, as adding a pump to a restricted radiator will not solve problems. 

• Like 1

The radiator is brand new custom made for the Hupp by Howe Racing, he is a neighbor and very famous here. He builds race cars for oval track racing. He copied the Hupp radiator, so except for the tubing it is an exact match to the original. The Hupp never blows steam, but after a long drive on a hot day you can hear the antifreeze boiling. The flow is great.

Edited by wayne kinne (see edit history)

I just have mine hanging from the hoses as they ended up very short with it in place. Fortunately the Ford hoses were not large diameter like the Hupp. If I were fitting to my R I would make up a flange that bolts to the engine block 3 bolts and have that thread onto the pump, Outlet to the bottom hose will need an adaptor. (Turn one up from brass if you have access to a lathe)