1931 Tudor

DAVE A

I am looking at a 1931 Tudor.   It has been setting for 10+ years in inside storage, not running but the old running when parked assumption applies.  Body and interior both look pretty good. Not perfect but usable for a temporary time period.  Everything looks dirty with spider webs dust etc. Body has some surface rust spots but nothing serious.  I know nothing about these cars.  Any suggestions as to what to look for and an idea of value?  Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bring a pal who has some knowledge of Model As.

While I still subscribe to the body and structural integrity over mechanics, some quick thoughts for your consideration:

Many times an A that hasn't run in some time is not too hard to get running.  Engine is a crap shoot till you run it.  That said, count on going through carb, ignition, likely water pump and maybe gen/starter.  All that is not a big deal, really, neither is wiring, simple on these cars.

More challenging areas would be front end, brakes & shocks, all a major part of the A driving experience.  Most As like the one you describe have pretty worn out running gear by now.  A lot of older restorations were great cosmetically but those components were thought to be good enough...

Mechanical brakes work fine when in top shape, most leave that job to pros, figure $4k all in.

Shocks, figure you will need them, about 1,200 all in for a set of US made repros

Front end, like brakes often worn.

Engine unless a cracked block, could be done in the 3,500 range if you did need it.

These cars, unlike others can at least be somewhat predictable in terms of cost.

A lot of fun for not a lot of $$, but remember a prewar, not 60s kind of experience.

Good luck!