'98 Park Ave ultra stuck in security mode

I've just purchased a used park ave '98 ultra a few months back. however, It didnt have a manuel with it. It's been driving great for about the last three months but recently, the passanger door was opened while the igninition switch was turned backwards. everything started going haywired(windshild wipers came on and all the the power just died out) the security light lite up on the dashboard and little red light started for the first time blinking real fast. now that little red light stays on blinking when the car is off. and, the only way to start the car is through the remote,by hitting the unlock button, causing the little red light to blink real fast, then it will start when it's fast blinking. otherwise, it won't do anything........help please?????????

You may have an after market alarm system installed. The Park Ave only had the security light, no little red light except in the radio for the radio security system. My son works at the local Buick dealership and said if there is another alarm system other than the factory system, it could screw-up your system. If you have after market remotes, its a given fact that someone has changed the factory system. A reason for this it is cheaper to buy and install a new system with remotes(after market $150) than to replace factory remotes( about $100 each).

Good luck

Bill

Couple Ideas: make sure the passenger door lock is not cocked, is straight up and down-insert the key and move it both ways, then take out.

use key in drivers door to unlock. This is another way to turn the alarm off besides the remote.

I have random security on my 95 Riv-sometimes the security light comes on when I insert the key(pass keyII)then its a 3 minute wait to try again.

Thats when I do my yoga mantra-close eyes rlax and say om padne ohmmmmmmmmmmother...

Sounds like you need to find out just what you have there! I can't imagine someone going to the trouble to install an aftermarket alarm system to replace the original equipment one, all things considered. That car also has a transponder key (stamped "PK3" up near the head) and I wonder if they disabled that system too?

Many of these aftermarket installations, when not done correctly, can also cause issues with the ECM or BCM and other electronic controls on the vehicle. One new Cavalier came through that someone had TRIED to install the "kewl blue" spectrum headlight bulbs in. Apparently, they pulled enough extra juice that they wouldn't let something in the headlight circuit operate correctly, all orchestrated by the BCM (body control module). When the correct production bulbs were installed (especially without the duct tape the owner used with the other ones) everything worked normally and as designed.

In order to get the alarm/security system(s) to reset, you might need to unhook the battery for a while, BUT when hooking everything back up after that, it might trigger the aftermarket alarm too (not to mention activating the TheftLock in the radio). Sounds kind of like there's a flaky ground in the system somewhere, otherwise the wipers and such would not have activated from what could have been a "current back-feed" situation.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467