1937 Dictator rear axle bearing seals

Hi guys,

While replacing my rear brake shoes, I decided to pull the axles and check the outer wheel bearings.  I’m thinking I should replace the cork seals.  I found 2 of the inner seals on eBay, but only one outer seal.  Part number 510735.  Does anybody have one or two available?  

Also, what is the torque spec for the large axle nut?  The service manual just says to tighten it.  I’d like to torque it appropriately.

Thank you,

Nate

Nate:

Torque wrenches were not in use in 1937, so no published values in Studebaker manuals.  My shop manual for 2R trucks, 1949 and later, gives 240-250 ft-lbs for the 1"-14 axle nuts.  Your axle nuts should be 7/8"-14, so about 65% of 250 ft-lbs = 162 ft-lbs, based on looking at torque charts.  We'll assume these are Grade 2 nuts and axle shaft threads.  The 160 ft-lb value is close to values suggested for dry threads in 7/8-14 size.  That is still a lot of torque, so you will need a long bar and strong arm.  

Good luck with the cork seals!  Since you have one, maybe you can cut another one from oil-resistant cork sheet.  An old Victor seal catalog I have says the o.d. of the cork seal should be 0.004" greater than the bore it presses into.  

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I wanted to follow up on my rear wheel seals.  I ended up making my own seals using the cutter Gary recommended.  I found 3/8 inch Nitrile cork from a supply company in Ohio.  Using measurements I found from a wheel bearing and seal supplier plus the original NOS seals I had, I cut the seals to the correct inner and outer diameters.  I then sanded the seals down to the correct 5/16 thickness.  This worked well and will last a long time.  

70707772593__46444AEF-A86D-4905-9ADE-1C0DB9D82550.jpeg

70707774211__ED26A207-5E07-46D5-9989-B5C3693AFBE6.jpeg

• Like 2