My new to me TC, radio not working

My new to me TC, finally got time to check it out today and the radio does not work.  The power button powers the unit, power antenna raises when powered on and lowers when power off, but no frequency is displayed, only the clock is displayed at 12:00.  No sound at all, changing bands does nothing, tuning buttons do nothing, little yellow lights on equalizer lights up, I think that is all, LOL.  Now does anyone have a good unit for sale, or would I be better off installing an aftermarket unit?  Any ideas?

Radios are not my forte’ so I’ll leave this one to others. I personally replaced my TCs original radio with a later ‘exact fit’  A/M F/M Cassette/CD MOPAR radio that works GREAT, just plug & play. I seldom play it unless I’m on a long trip, so it should last as long as I have the car.IMG_4545.jpeg.cc11bb2b4819f2ffd8d8233456d43ca4.jpeg

Edited by Hemi Dude
Added Photo (see edit history)

There might be a memory fuse that is blown so the radio goes to 12:00 every time the car is shut off and turned back on.  Maybe that could keep it from working?  Have you tried to set the clock and see if it gets out of that mode and will go to the radio.  Does it have the cd player? Mine won't play the radio unless the cd player is shut off. 

Where is the memory fuse?  On the radio itself?  I have not removed the radio yet, I do not think that I can set the clock, but will try and then get back to you.  No CD player.  What also is odd, is I can turn the radio off with the power button, then shut the car off, and next time I start the car the radio powers on and up goes the antenna.  Thanks, Kim

I just tried to set the clock with no avail.  I push the power button, radio seems to power up, equalizer lights light up, all other buttons do nothing except the set button makes the P-1 light up.  Push power button off and unit powers off and antenna goes down.  Turning the key back on, and radio powers up and antenna goes up regardless of it being off prior to shutting key off.  I will check all fuses today and then remove the radio to investigate something obvious, wish me luck, LOL  Thanks, Kim

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ghostymosty said:

Sounds like the radio thinks it has a cassette in it. 

It appears that now radios can think!  Maybe as well as ghosty. 

Just for sport, have a look-see if there is a cassette in the slot. “Just thinking”

This could be, I checked and no cassette is in the unit.  I gently probed around to activate micro switches to no avail.  So I guess she is happy the way she is.  Been busy with big car show this weekend at the Daytona International Speedway so Monday I will remove the radio and go from there.  Maybe there is a shop that can look at it.  I also have a friend that works at a salvage yard, so maybe he can find a suitable replacement.  Then there is always aftermarket.  Thanks, Kim

4 hours ago, Kimrpaige said:

This could be, I checked and no cassette is in the unit.  I gently probed around to activate micro switches to no avail.  So I guess she is happy the way she is.  Been busy with big car show this weekend at the Daytona International Speedway so Monday I will remove the radio and go from there.  Maybe there is a shop that can look at it.  I also have a friend that works at a salvage yard, so maybe he can find a suitable replacement.  Then there is always aftermarket.  Thanks, Kim

Hi Kim, for what my advice here is worth, I would virtually forget about paying someone to work on the radio if you remove it from the car. Those radios have electrical problems that cannot be repaired. Many owners and even back when Chrysler has their own repair facility for radios and speedometers, THEY could not fix these radios. Thee radios wer made in Japan and parts needed were unavailable. When you have it out of the dash, notice the 2 mounting tabs that secure the radio to the instrument panel. You want a similar radio like that. There were some later radios that looked similar but with the tabs in different locations, they would work BUT would NOT mount in your dash. Many HIGH END Chrysler vehicles had the radio I pictured earlier and it is about the last that fits in and will work in your car. I would suggest looking for one of them in the junkyard rather than an aftermarket one if you want to keep the instrument panel looking original.

Thanks Hemi,

I checked all fuses, all good, I removed the radio and have my buddy that works at a salvage yard look for one, he is pretty sure they have one.  I also found a used one on FB Marketplace about 20 miles from me and if it doesn't work he will refund me, its not the exact same as I removed but should work hopefully.

Now get this!!!!!  I just bought one from a 94 Jeep Cherokee that my buddy got from a salvaged car for $25.00.  The mounting ears are different but I can make it work.  However, I hooked it up all except a separate ground wire (small 16 ga) and it is doing the same basically that the one I took out did.  Its an Infinity Gold with equalizer and the equalizer lights up, antenna goes up and down with power, but nothing else, not even the clock lights up.  So what are the odds of the same symptoms? Now with this one the antenna stays down when I turn the key on.  Maybe a relay that is behind the radio?  I am about to give up, maybe aftermarket is the answer.  LOL.   Anyone out there has a known good one for sale??

• 2 weeks later...

Still having radio issues, decided to go aftermarket, found a brand new in the box JVC Bluetooth unit on Marketplace for $50.  Bought wiring kit and dash kit also, wired it up and no sound, so the amp/s must be toast.  So will have to install new 5 1/4 inch speakers.  I am guessing the amps go sour in these cars? or am I missing something?

Radio all better, went with new in box cheap JVC I got on Marketplace, bought 4 reman Infinity 5 1/4 inch speakers for $60 a pair from Amazon.  Works great, but what a PITA running speaker wires through door 😄.  Thanks to all.