1940 Buick Body identification number plate location

Century Eight

I have been mystified as to why the location of the body plate (not to be confused with the serial number plate) moves around.  On most 1940 Buicks, it is found on the right side of the shroud as it is called and pictured in the 1942 owners manual (cowl).  I have seen several 1940 Buicks of different series and most of them are in this location.  The 1940 manual doesn’t picture it. 

I have a 1940 Century model 61c and the tag is riveted to the center of the firewall, right behind the valve cover.  I have seen multiple other 61c cars and they were in both locations.  It didn’t seem to matter whether they were built before or after mine, nor did the plant seem to make a difference.  More tags I have seen were on the side of the cowl but not all.  I might have posted this just in the Buick section but it is a Fisher body so their plant sent to other divisions as well.

This has been bugging me.  Maybe I have too much time on my hands!

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)

I cannot say for sure the reasons for what yo are seeing, but on my 37 series 80C there is no plate as it was removed or destroyed when the heater was installed. One of the heater hose connections was drilled through where the plate was mounted. It is very obvious.  I can see where a GOOD installer would remove the plate and reattach it in a different place. Where that place would be, would be up to the installer. This is one reason data plates move around.

That is an odd place for a data plate.  Yes, it’s too bad the installer ditched the data plate.  He may have just handed it to the owner and then it got lost.  I will make it a point to look at thirty sevens the next time i see one.  As time went on, the locations became more standardized, but it throws us a curve today.  

Another problem becoming today is that when your go to the dmv to register a car, and the young inspectors look at the serial number plate they freak out when they see it screwed in instead of riveted.  They think you have a stolen car but half of them had screws and half of them had rivits.