Distinctive window cranks. Ternstedt????

Speede

The Ternstedt Company made trim parts and window regulators for Fisher Body between 1917 and 1920, and became a part of Fisher in 1920.

That to me would mark them as being for a car body produced by Fisher Body before its 1926 acquisition by GM.

Ternstedt Division supplied most diecast chrome trim parts for GM vehicles till the General dissolved Fisher Body in the 80s. Another Roger Smith casualty.🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

The Ternstedt Company made trim parts and window regulators for Fisher Body between 1917 and 1920, and became a part of Fisher in 1920.

That to me would mark them as being for a car body produced by Fisher Body before its 1926 acquisition by GM.

Ternstedt Division supplied most diecast chrome trim parts for GM vehicles till the General dissolved Fisher Body in the 80s. Another Roger Smith casualty.🙄

Thank you very much for the detailed information. I learn so much here. 

• Like 1

Ternstedt Manufacturing was established in 1917 and was acquired by the Fisher Body Division of GM in 1920. It remained part of Fisher Body until 1947. From 1948 to 1968 or '69, it was a separate Division of GM. 

It was rolled back into the Fisher Body Division in 1969 and remained part of Fisher Body until Fisher was dissolved under the 1985 GM corporate restructuring.

We were "winding down" the Detroit Fort Street manufacturing facility in the late 1980s. The facility was affectionately known as "The Mother Plant"; it was the primary Ternstedt site. When clearing out old financial records for donation to the Detroit Public Library's historical collection, our staff found old check registers showing the quarterly distributions paid to the Fisher brothers from 1917 to 1919. If I remember correctly, each of them received about $250 per quarter.

Edited by 95Cardinal
Clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 2