Tracing a car's history

Hello, I recently bought a 1942 Buick. Obviously, I know the owner from whom I bought the car. I was able to find the name and information on the one before him as well. But I've hit a dead-end. I've been in contact with him, but he hasn't been too responsive. Just for my own edification and to learn more of the backstory on this car, I'm trying to trace its ownership as far as I can.

I understand that in the past 20 or so years, there have been many restrictions placed on the sharing of this kind of information. I'm curious if anyone has any resources for getting through this red tape. Could the "Freedom of Information Act" apply here in terms of accessing government records? 

Regards,

Dan 

Dan

I can't help you on that. What I do suggest is that you post a note on the forums in the Buick section seeking the information on you car and give the location(s) of where you know the car may have been to see if anyone can hep you or remember the car and the past owners. The Buick Club of America may help out too. If you do not belong to that you should just because every month you get a really great magazine - yes once a month, glossy pages and all. Is there any information on where the car was sold new - state, town, dealership ? that would be a strong lead to follow. Nothing else I can suggest.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)

Hi Walt, thanks for the reply. I'm a member of BCA and AACA. I bought the car from a member here, who bought it from another member here. Part of the issue is that each of them had the car for about 10 years. So, the trail is about 20 years old. I've bought and sold a lot of vehicles over the years and I can't recall most of the names of the folks I've done transactions with. So, I certainly don't fault anyone.

I know the car was from the Portland area and I have a pretty strong hunch about which dealership it was purchased from. Braley and Graham was the big Buick Dealer back then. They're still around, but not really what they were back then. I actually contacted them asking if they maintained records that far back. But they just tried to sell me a new car and stopped responding when it was clear I wasn't interested. I'll certainly continue to pursue that avenue if I can. 

Ideally the last owner I've traced it to, will respond, but I think he's far enough removed that he doesn't want to be bothered. 

Regards,

Dan 

• 5 months later...