oil bath air cleaner

Chry54

i am getting wet oil on the lower part of the carb when driving the car. it is a 54 windsor, 6 cyl. the carb has been rebuilt but this occured before that also. i took the unit off, cleaned it and filled it with water to see if it was leaking, and it is not. i use 50W oil. how can the oil get out of the filter and only on to the lower part of the carb? i have read alot about these filters and never seen this issue ever mentioned. i will clean the element again, but i have done that in the past. maybe i could use a 75W gear oil? doesn't seem like that should be needed. this can be converted to paper element, but i like to keep the car original. any advice here will be appreciated.       dennis

I have a 54 New Yorker with the 331 Hemi. My oil bath unit was using a lot of oil and I  could not figure out where the oil was going, every month or so it would be low. One day while driving I made a turn and looked behind me and all I saw was a smoke screen.,

Luckily I was close to the house, got there and removed the air cleaner. The outer shell had all the oil that kept disappearing and the level got high enough that it spilled into the carb and created that smoke screen.  I found the leak in the reservoir and sealed it with JB weld. That did solve the problem but then I acquired another top section. I cut out the filtering mesh and modified the top so that I now use a paper element under it but it all still looks like the oil bath air cleaner.

I think I have a nice 6 cylinder oil bath unit that I would sell at a reasonable price. If you are interested let me know, I would take some photos to let you see the condition.

Tom   i will look mine over today as i am getting the car ready for a show this weekend. i have added gaskets but not sure if that corrected it.   do you need any parts for your car? maybe a trade.     dennis