Sandy Hollow Fire Dept. badge and plaque

The Sandy Hollow Fire Dept was located at the Long Island Automotive Museum in Southampton , NY. The property the museum was on was known as Sandy Hollow for many many decades prior to the 20th century. Austin Clark liked all older vehicles especially those prior to 1930. He had a great collection of fire trucks, and for many years also the huge ladder truck that was bought new by Southampton town. He had more working fire trucks then some villages and municipalities but all were equipped with wood spoke wheels, nothing was "automatic" etc. He contacted the companies that provided the official badges for fire departments and ordered cast alloy plaques to attach to the front of cars to note you were a fire dept. member and ordered about 30 Captains badges ( he had the Chief's badge) . The company that made these called him to ask why so many Captain's badges and he verified that he was a real fire dept.

the Captain's badges were given by Austin to close friends and he wrote down every name of the person he gave one to. This is the one I got in 1969 and the car plaque is shown too. I recall when we took out one of the fire trucks for a good run and I sat in the front seat my requirement was to crank the siren continually .

IMG_2770.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 9 months later...

hi Walt, I was able to buy Austin Clarks 1911 Seagrave chemical hose truck back in 1986 and is on display in my antique car collection. When I bought it from Harrahs auction in 1986, one week later he sent me a letter saying congratulations you now own the worlds best antique fire truck and gave me details about it along with prints of Leslie Salburgs of the truck and many post cards. If one or the other turns up for sale keep me in mind as I would like to buy them to display them on the truck. Warren Kraft for many years would call or write me to sell him the Seagrave as he told me stories about when Austin Clark and him would get it running. We became friends during this time and was saddened to see that he passed.  Mike

• Like 1

Warren Kraft was "ok" as a mechanic, but most all of Austin's cars and trucks that were located out at his museum in Southampton were worked on and maintained by a great fellow named Eddie Aldrich who lived out there. Warren was a salesman and could tell a good story , usually with a bit of embellishment .

Austin, myself, Warren and about 25 other people were members of the Long Island Old Car Club. That independent club used to host celebrations/anniversaries  of the Vanderbilt Cup Races ( 50th, 55th, 60th etc etc ) and have 100 cars on a tour that tried to take in the original route of the races - newest car on the last anniversary run in 1988 was a 1938 Packard convertible.  We had the public roads blocked off so the modern cars would not get in the way - Old 16 took part in that as well as it was the anniversary of the 1908 race. The country police were very nice and cooperative. The LIOCC eventually became a chapter of the NY Region of the Veteran Motor Car Club of America. Austin was the head of the NY Region VMCCA.