Packard 733

ggsvh

I searched forever for the stop light switch connector and plugs. I believe I have a few connectors in fair condition, the bakelite plugs disintegrate. I finally had a couple of the plugs reproduced. It'll take me a while, but I'll check my parts shelf and see what I have that I can spare. Otherwise, until you find the correct connector, you can easily connect the wires from the switch to the wiring harness. You don't really need the connector to make the lights work.

I have almost enough parts that another complete socket could be made. If you know someone with a lathe that could turn out new "bakelite" plugs, the parts are yours. You'd have to come up with another screw, sleeve, and bull-nose as seen on the bottom of the photo. The top two pieces in this photo is my reproduction, to show how the "pieces" below it go together. The metal sleeve (left) with the collar is the piece that attaches to the transmission. The bakelite-only plug on the right receives the two wires from the wiring harness. The bakelite-only plug seems to be the really hard part to find, as it was usually disconnected from the transmission when a "parts car" was picked apart.

IMG_0498.JPG

• Like 2

It's details like this that separate the men from the boys. And you can spend hundreds of hours getting the details correct on a car. We won't even talk about money. This is the things that drive professional restores mad. And half or more of them would just "skip it" as unnecessary. It's details just like this one that the judges at Pebble and the single marque clubs look for on the field. In a tough class, more often than not it could be a plug like this that gets you first in class, or nothing. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1