1956 Imperial Cast Iron Torqueflite, 3-spd automatic.

TTR

Just curious if anyone here has a "late-production" '56 Imperial with factory installed OEM (1956, introductory year) Torqueflite in it ?

Over the years I've seen several 1956 Imperial’s (& Chrysler 300 B’s) having been "converted" from 2-spd Powerflite to 3-spd Torqueflites, but all seem to have used a 1957 or later units.

I've also heard of some ‘56 Imperial’s having had their original, factory installed Torqueflites exchanged to/replaced with1957 or later Torqueflites back in the day when the cars were still in active daily use, as the 1956 units had (allegedly) proven quite problematic with severe design “flaws” that were remedied in 1957 and later production.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I would comment that Chrysler engineering did some experimenting with getting the cooling "right" for these transmissions.   Automatic's life span is dependent on keeping the fluid temperature within some specified range.   Its why your more modern towing vehicle either does or should have a "transmission cooler" which is always part of the "towing package" option.

You will recall that '56s still had the under hood heat exchanger inline with the radiator lower hose as had been the case for the Powerflites prior.   The new '56 Impl Torqueflites (also in some late 300Bs) used that same exchanger as had been in the P'flite cars.   I'm guessing if there was a problem with the T-flites early on that the temperature of the fluid was, let's say, "out of specification".

The '57 Imperials (and New Yorkers and others) with the Torqueflite came with a heat exchanger built into the bottom tank of the radiator.  The first version of this was fairly short (side to side in tank).  Apparently did not cool adequately.  Months into production after receiving complaints from the field, that was changed.  The second version was a fairly long exchanger.  Apparently that cooled the trans fluid too much!  Complaints of failures apparently arrived again.  A THIRD length of heat exchanger, obviously "in between" the first and second versions became standard within the lower radiator.  And that stayed through the rest of the model year and on into '58 and '59 production.

There are three radiator part numbers in the '57-58 parts books for cars with TorqueFlite automatics.  The details given above are not included.  But now you know the "rest of the story" !

While it doesn't really address my inquiry, thanks for your reply @StillOutThere.

I have a fairly extensive experience, including probably quarter million+ combined miles behind dozens of Cast Iron Torqueflite cars and have rebuilt at least 2-3 dozen of them in past 4 decades.

I recently rebuilt one (an early '56 unit, casted in late '55) and noticed that almost everything, including the case engineering and machining, valve bodies, etc being different than on any '57 and later units, but haven't had a chance to test drive it yet, due to other pending work on the same project, so I'm mainly interested in first-hand driving/performance and/or rebuilding experiences of '56 Torqueflites only.

P.S. Based on my aforementioned experiences, I don’t believe transmission fluid cooling is or was a significant contributor to many, if any, failures on Power- & Torqueflites.
Many of the lower priced Chrysler Corp. cars by Plymouth and Dodge never came with automatic transmission coolers from the factory.and based on my (limited) understanding, it wasn’t much of a concern.

The most common contributor to any and all vintage automatics, just like most other mechanical failures on all (vintage) automobiles, was a lack of adequate/timely maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '56 Imperial 4dr Southampton with the TorqueFlite trans.  It is a future project, so I haven't driven it.  I also have a '56 2door with PowerFlite and I'm told by Tom Dirnberger that that's a late production and the 4dr is an early TF.

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks for replying @RogerPHX, even if you don't yet have firsthand driving, let alone long service life experience with the '56 TF.

Is yours an OEM installation with an actual '56 TF or conversion done later in the cars life, perhaps to later style, '57 & up, unit ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 8:08 PM, RogerPHX said:

I believe it to be the original TF.  It's not easy to find the 5 buttons and the bezel for the early TF.

You could verify originality by checking/recording the transmission numbers stamped (upside down) on the wide, but shallow machined area on the right side of the lower case, above the oil pan & dipstick tube mounting to it.

See attached photos for reference (while the first two pictures are of a ‘56 TF, the numbers shown in the last picture are from a different make/model/year I recently rebuilt/restored).

And should you need/want help with deciphering aforementioned numbers on your TF, I’d be happy to advise/assist.

D56C7D62-606B-401C-AC7B-72660500B985.jpeg

C9B8B249-C3A1-4034-91D8-B72B4460EA1F.png

5429CA2A-5E90-4DB9-874B-D3420ECB8ECD.jpeg