Original key # for 1930 Oldsmobile 4-door sedan?

iroll

I am trying to help a family member with their 1930 Oldsmobile 4-door sedan. 

There was no key when they originally bought the vehicle.  I examined the ignition lock and cannot find a number on the outside face.  I have done this search before with 50's and up cars, but I dunno on this car and it is in another state-

There are a number of OEM ignition keys available by number (they would prefer having an OEM), but I have no idea how many different key series the 1930 Olds used.

The car label plate info is:  Job No.  30409  -  Body No. 9856

I can't seem to find anything on how to determine which key series this car used. 

Any guidance would be appreciated!

lock.jpg

I wish I could help here but I have no idea who was supplying keys and locks to Oldsmobile at that time. Starting 1936 Briggs & Stratton supplied all GM keys and lock cylinders thru the mid 1960s.

Check with the R E Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing MI www.reoldsmuseum.org .

They may have the info you need.

Have your family look into the National Antique Olds Club too www.antiqueolds.org . Their 1920s and 1930s model year advisors might can shed some light. On their website, click "resources" which should open the advisors page where you'll find their contact info.

Glenn, thank you kindly for the prompt response!  I will do that.

It's funny- I know where and what to look for for 50's up but the last car of this period I worked on was a 1932 Nash and it fortunately had it's keys.  Below is this Olds.  It is actually in very good physical condition, down to the window pull-down shades.

IMG_6245.jpg

Edited by iroll
update (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First thing to check is the ignition itself an original 1930 ignition. My 32 Olds uses a keyed coil but I am unfamiliar with the ignition of a 30. Do they have a door key? Olds doors and ignition were keyed alike. If you pull the keyed door handle, there will be a number stamped in the body of it and that is the key code. Often, if the car is equipped with the factory spare tire lock or locks, they are also keyed alike.

• Like 1