Here I go again - When I bought my 65 Mercury I told myself I would leave it alone...

junkyardjeff

When I bought my 65 Mercury I told myself I would leave it alone but that is not going to happen,since there is multiple seat springs broken in the front seat I would have to pick up another seat for parts.  I found someone parting a 66 Mercury and it has a power seat so I grabbed it,while I was there I looked at the rear seat and it has a center arm rest so it came home with me too.  I also took the jack and the retractable front seat belts too.  It looks like the Merc is going to get upgraded seats and another project in redoing them.

IMG_20230204_170748209.jpg

IMG_20230204_170816849.jpg

IMG_20230204_170837208.jpg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

I thought about the power windows but more work then I want to do,just getting the seats will get me into redoing the seats after I remove the cover.

The material and seam pattern looks to be the Park Lane.  Having electric windows, even with the additional work to install them, could make your '65 a more pleasant car to drive.   The Park Lane door panels, even if the electric windows weren't used still could be patched and repaired by your upholsterer to coordinate with the seat trim.   

'66 Mercury Park Lane - brochure b.jpg

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Here I go again - When I bought my 65 Mercury I told myself I would leave it alone...
24 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

I never checked to see if I could feel a front arm rest so does anyone know if it was optional,I am out and will have to check when I get back home but one would think if it could be had in the back one would be available for the front.

No, Ford cheapen out on their LTD and Mercury Park Lane: no fold-down front seats center armrest.  One could have done fitted from another Park Lane rear seat back cushion to the front.  

42 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

The thought came to me of seeing if I can get the armrest to work in the front,the local old junkyard has a 65 LTD and can get another rear armrest.

Another rear fold-down armrest from the LTD could be integrated into your front seat backrest, upholstered to match the rest of the interior.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this project is changing directions again,I am going to just use the front seat frame and power parts and replace the damaged areas on the original seat cover and install on the 66 frame.  Thanks to the Detroit books I have learned my 65 Mercury is a late production with a 1966 interior so I am going to leave it as it came from the factory with the exception of adding the power seat tracks.  The inserts on the front seat is the area that needs replaced and I can get that vinyl from SMS,the vinyl that is bad was not in the 65 book and in the 66 and the 66 seats has a vinyl that is not in the 66 book and could be from a 67.

• Like 3

The cloth is 165 a yard and the vinyl is 95 a yard,it will take 2 yards of the vintage vinyl to repair the front seat and if I need any of the other vinyl I can get a real close replacement for less then 20 a yard.  I was going to spend almost a grand just for materials to go to cloth so just fixing the original cover will be much cheaper,that car is just so unusual with the way its optioned and the later year interior to change the seats but will have power added to the seats which is not that big of change like changing most of the interior.

• Like 1

So basicly its going to be left alone now except for adding power to the front seat and that could also not happen as I do have a 65 Galaxie 2 door the power seat track could go in.  If the car the seats came out of would have been a 4 door sedan with manual windows I could have pulled off the switch to cloth seats easier with the matching door panels.

My front seat has broken springs so I need the frame no matter what I do,my local old junkyard has plenty of seats but all have been exposed to the weather but the seats from the 66 have been closed up.  I tore apart a bunch of seats at work that have been wet for many years and they were junk.