1941 Ford windshield wiper repair

I have a 1941 Ford that is stock. Everything works on the car except the wipers. My understanding is that the wipers (switch and motor) are a one year design. Ford changed the design after the war. The switch operates by vacuum and a vacuum line goes from the switch to the motor. I usually have motors rebuilt by "Wiperman" and have had good luck. He will not work on 41s because of the poor design.

Electric wipers are not an option. There is no room because I have a heater and working radio.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Do I have any other option?

I tested switch. I am sure that it is the motor. 41 is a unique design and no one seems to want to touch them. It is a late 41 motor. I have been told that early 41 motors are easier and have normal internals. Late 41s have a metal to metal seal. No gasket. Early 41s have a gasket. I would love to find an early 41 but do not have a part number and not sure how to identify without opening up.

Currently my wiper will move to far position when switch is turned on. It stays in that position until switch is turned off. Then wiper goes to home position

9 minutes ago, nickg112 said:

Currently my wiper will move to far position when switch is turned on. It stays in that position until switch is turned off. Then wiper goes to home position

I would look for trouble with the reversing switch, and you might not even have to take the motor apart. Most wiper motors have a little delicate switch that goes over center and flips when the vane gets to the end of its travel. This is what it looks like on a Trico motor. Yours may have something similar.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWBCTZk-QCvhVK2Cj5YTg

20576416_underthecap.jpg.20b9e1d20b99521

The parts catalogs only list 1 motor for the 1941 Ford and Mercury ( P/N 11A-17508-A). It is a one year only design and should be repairable.

It may not need to be repaired, sometimes just exercising the motor will get it working. Remove both wiper arms, start the car and turn the wipers on high. If the motor works in this mode, it will probably work fine with a little lubrication and exercise.

To lubricate the motor, I would remove it and put a few drops of light oil in the motor through the vacuum port and on the cam mechanism under the small cover with 2 screws. I also lubricate the linkage on my 40 Merc. every year. One small drop of 30w oil on the pivot points and some 3in one on the shaft at the base of the windshield.

You can bypass the switch by running a vacuum hose directly to the large port on the motor. The pot metal in the 41 switches sometimes develop small vacuum leaks.

If you haven't done it yet, install new hoses, these motors need all of the vacuum that they can get.

If none of these tips get your motor working, you can check with Clean Sweep Wiper Repair at (541) 420-9098  to see if they will service your motor or have a rebuilt for sale.

Your last option is to disassemble the motor, clean out the hardened grease and lubricate the paddle with a non hardening silicone lubricant like Sil-Glyde or Super-Lube. When you reassemble the motor, tighten all screws evenly and in a pattern similar to tightening head nuts.

Any motor that you buy will probably need service, so you are probably better off doing these things first.

Here is a NOS motor    https://www.ebay.com/itm/144775313938?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5335825744&toolid=10034&customid=odcparts

Edited by 19tom40
add link (see edit history)