Central Canada: Unknown Province, Unknown Yard, Unknown Location

arcticbuicks

Just one of many field of dreams I know of , fairly dry summers and cold dry winters , very good minimal rust cars where salt was seldom used as it’s rural and or too cold for salt to activate, I could post more junk yards if there is interest .

The 36 Maple Leaf is a fairly rare truck,it was made as a fancy truck for say a farmer going to town not just for work,kind of what a pick up truck would be today ,i think some of features were 5 bolt wheels,open driveshaft,real leather seat,wood grain dash ,lots of chrome,front drop center chrome bumper .....i might have missed a few things,and was pretty much a one year only  thing,even though there were other years of maple leaf trucks

AA0BFB3F-3ADF-45A4-9CBA-BAD1C200B6DC.jpeg

34B82EAF-54BD-467C-A213-AB38DF8080F9.jpeg

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a 35 Maple Leaf about 20 years ago. If that's a 36 I think it is a  early 36 as it looks like it is the cab that is typical early 1930's GM with lots of structural wood { 3 hinges on the door are a indication as well } . Many 36's have the new version cab { low cab, 2 door hinges are the easy way to I.D. } with far less wood than the previous model. 36's usually have  horizontal hood louvers , 35's have the vertical ones like I see in your photo. Perhaps someone put a 1935 hood on it at one time if the data tag says it is a 1936 . But I suspect the one in your photo is most likely a 35 like mine was or a 36 high cab which used the 1935 style cab.. My 35 had the chrome grill and bumper. Great little truck { mine was from Sask , but before I owned it it came West }. It eventually  needed a cab wood rebuild that was at the time beyond me, I sold it on to a person with more time and wood working skills that I had available at the time. I still have a 1945 GMC. One of a small number made available to non- military buyers later in 1945. And a 46 Maple Leaf 2 ton.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

it could be 1935 looking at pic,i was busy 6 hours walking the place and just guessing the years taking pictures.....the guy said no opening hoods or doors to avoid bending hinges !,i think 35 would be quite rare more than 36 in the maple leaf truck too.........minimal wood and easy to do ............my first truck [i still have] is a 45 gmc 1/2 ton [which also has very small amount of wood} my grandfather bought new as he had essential service store gas station post office and was able to buy a new war year truck,i got it when i was 15 and he had a 34 ford also ......my dad said only one !........i wanted a truck......the 34 ford went to the crusher later ugh

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

That's all that is on my potential future buy list. { North American production , 1916 - about 1960 }

Actually I would also really like a Muntz Jet or a Nash Healey , but chances are those are not going to turn up in Canada either. And most likely not at a price I can afford regardless of where it comes from. 

What I currently own and what I have owned in the past  is quite varied and diverse. 

Over the last 15 years or more I have only bought about 5 cars . And they have all come from Washington State , Oregon and one from Northern California. 

If I could find what I want in Western Canada I would surely buy on this side of the border. Last Canadian one I was serious about was in the Toronto area and when all the transport costs were added up it didn't make sense to buy.

But I only buy cars that interest me. And typically for most of the last couple of decades that has ended up being a U.S. car. Not out of choice, that's just where they turn up.

What I am in to is Brass era, previously mentioned upper middle class Nickel era, later 1930's - early 1940's trucks, postwar  British sports cars, vintage small bore race cars. And still a fading interest in 1960's Muscle cars, was very involved years ago. The only thing  that I don't have at least a project status example on that list is the upper middle class Nickle era car. I also really miss the 1953 Chevy 210 convertible { B.C. car all it's life } that I sold about 20 years ago. But at today's prices I doubt I would buy another even if I could find one.  I am not sure how many 1953 Canadian 210 convertibles were made but I am reasonably sure it was not very many.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Central Canada: Unknown Province, Unknown Yard, Unknown Location