removal of rear ashtray on a 46 Roadmaster

Jon Mattey

Hi , I need to remove the ashtray in the back of my 46 roadmaster ( the handle has pulled out of the backing of the rolling section) , I have removed the front seat back but cannot see any fixing, do you have to take the wide moulding along the length of the seat-back off and the ashtray is attached to that? If anyone knows I would appreciate an answer.  thank you Jon

The members here tend not to answer when they don't have direct experience with the subject matter,  and I hope that doesn't come across as rude. No one wants to give the wrong advice.  But, that being said,  we may be able to still help if the issue can be better understood.  Can you post a picture of what the seat area looks like and where the ashtray is broken?

• Like 6

The part with the "handle" would come out.   However if it has not been removed in years,  it is probably stuck and the broken handle is a clue. 

You might try some penetrating oil..... unless it is in cloth upholstery.    Gum, rust, who know what is causing it to stick. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have put up pictures, I can see screws inside the ashtray but they do not match up to any in the seat back so I can only think I have to remove the brown moulding . The 3rd picture shows the top handle pulled away from the canvas backing  thanks for the replies Jon

2023-01-14 12.55.41.jpg

2023-01-14 12.55.33.jpg

2023-01-14 12.57.18.jpg