Unknown Large Late 1920s- Early 1930s Hood

Cadillac Nut

Only the 1931 Chrysler Imperial Eight Series CG and the 1932 Chrysler Imperial Eight Series CH had hood louvers, the Series CL Custom Imperials have hood doors.  Counting the louvers may help identify when compared to the Series 1931 CD and 1932 CP.   

I think both the 1931 Chrysler CD8 (124" WB) and 1931 Chrysler Imperial (145"WB) had hoods with 33 louvers (see photos here, one of my CD8 hood, the second of an Imperial hood from internet). They also use the stainless steel center hinge like your photo. My CD8 hood is 41.5" long at center hinge (and 42.5" at sides)and on hood side there is 6.5" flat area at front of set of louvers and 5.5" flat at rear of louvers (so louvers measure about 30.5" end to end). The CD8 hood side has a single lift handle in center. Also note in pic that the CD8 hood lower edge has an out-sweep at rear to clear fender/chassis sheet metal like your has. The longer wheel base Imperial had a much longer hood, due to a larger/longer engine, and longer wheelbase. It also has 2 lifting handles, one at each end above latching mechanism. So this is likely a circa 1931 Chrysler Imperial hood.

By 1932, Imperials were using shutter doors in hood instead of louvers, but I do see some pics on internet indicating some 1932 models with louvers, possibly the earlier production. A further caution, for the 1931 CD8 cars, the Roadster hood was not interchangeable with the Sedan or Coupe hood as the roadster cowl was slightly different than the sedan. The Chrysler parts book indicates all 1931 Imperial models used same hood but by 1932, Imperial Coupes and Imperial Sedans had different hoods (no mention of Roadsters?). 

So suggest if you want to sell this, offer as likely 1931 Chrysler Imperial Hood, give all key dimensions, and ask potential buyers to check the dimensions against what they need.

IMG_8394.JPG

1931 Chrysler Imperial Hood.webp

Edited by Gunsmoke
added info (see edit history)
  • Like 1