A simple job...Not!

I have a 1937 Coupe sitting in the garage awaiting restoration.  Three of the tires have went flat and only hold air for a day or so.  I have two other wheels and tires that are holding air sitting next to the Coupe so I thought I would changed out the rear wheels and fix the flat on the front later.  I got my jack, jack stand and tools and went to the drivers rear to break the lug nuts free.  It was then that I noticed that there were only three lug nuts.  The other two had been broken off.  I guess someone in the car's history did not know that the left side has left handed threads and twisted off the lugs.  After loosening the first two nuts I started on the last one and it turned easily.  And it turned and turned and did not loosen.  I then realized that whoever had broken the two lugs off had  failed to break this one, but did strip the splines that hold the lug to the hub.  

So now I have a wheel that is held on by one lug nut that can't be unscrewed.  My choices are either to cut the nut off somehow, or cut a hole in the backing plate and try to Mig weld the lug to the hub.  The second choice may be the best in that I need 3 lugs in order to use my great Blue Point hub puller.    

I do have another rear end  and it will be quicker to just replace the entire unit if I can get the bolts out of the rear of each spring.  But I do want to fix the rear end currently under the car.  Old cars are fun and teach us patience!

I wouldn't ruin a backing plate over that. Will a nut splitter fit in there? That is your best bet, followed by a cutting torch. In the interest of not damaging the wheel, I think I would try to fit some copper sheeting in around there to avoid overheating the wheel too much with the torch. It also might be possible to use a cutoff wheel to cut a "screwdriver slot" into the whole mess, nut and stud, stopping just short of the wheel to avoid damaging it. Then try to break up the nut with a chisel.

149956.jpg

• Like 1