1927 Franklin 11B Generator Question

Timmy R

Hi all, I have had my 27' Franklin 11B for about 2.5 yrs but with restoring issues, getting gauges repaired, etc. I have really not driven more than a mile at a time. This morning I drove about 5-10 miles to a car show.  When I got there I noticed the generator was really hot and smoking.  I thought that maybe it was just putting out too much amperage, almost 20amps per the meter, so I disconnected the wire and drove home with just battery power to the coil.  When I got home the generator was just as hot again as when I drove to the car show in the morning and was smoking again (I poured some water on the case to cool it down). When it cooled down I reconnected the wire and now it is not putting out any amps so I am figuring it is burnt. Any idea why this happened and how can I take the generator out and get it rebuilt without screwing anything else up? Thanks, Tim

27 11B Generator.jpeg

Edited by Timmy R (see edit history)

• Timmy R changed the title to 1927 Franklin 11B Generator Question

Likely shorted internally. It can be sent out to be rebuilt.

If you take the generator out, DO NOT undo the nut on the bottom front side of the mounting. If you do the timing chain sprocket for the generator drive will fall off the bearing. Then you'll have a lot of work removing a lot of the front of the car and motor to get inside the timing chain cover to put the sprocket back on. Just remove the two bolts on top and the one nut under the generator on the rear side of the mount. 

Paul

• Like 3

Thank you very much Paul.  Just so I'm sure, it's ok to take off the two top bolts where finger is pointing to in the attached picture and the one back nut that I am pointing at but not the one in front of it? I also see a bolt on the side that I took a picture of but hard to tell if it is actually connected or just used for alignment of the generator?  

Generator Top Bolts.jpg

Franklin Generator back Nut.jpg

Franklin Side Bolt2.jpg

1 hour ago, Timmy R said:

Thank you very much Paul.  Just so I'm sure, it's ok to take off the two top bolts where finger is pointing to in the attached picture and the one back nut that I am pointing at but not the one in front of it? I also see a bolt on the side that I took a picture of but hard to tell if it is actually connected or just used for alignment of the generator?  

Generator Top Bolts.jpg

Franklin Generator back Nut.jpg

Franklin Side Bolt2.jpg

Tim,

Yes, only those two bolts on top, plus the nut underneath the generator that you're pointing to in your second picture.

The third picture is the bolt and its lock nut for adjusting the timing chain tension. It is not attached to the generator - it only pushes outward on the generator to tension the timing chain. You may have to back it off a bit to get the generator out,....  or at least to get it back in. 

The procedure for how to tension the chain, and how to check for proper tension, is covered in section 700 of the owner's manual. If you don't have a manual, and you're a member of the H.H. Franklin Club, you can order a print copy through the Club's website or download a free copy from the "Members Only" section of the website. 

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...