1931 Buick Model 60 Wheels

RUF

I am searching for two 19" rim pressure rings.  They are the ones that hold the tires in place.  If you have them...send pic and price with shipping included.

Thank you - Mike

23 hours ago, RUF said:

I am searching for two 19" rim pressure rings.  They are the ones that hold the tires in place.  If you have them...send pic and price with shipping included.

Thank you - Mike

Mike,Just an FYI,In the hobby they are commonly call "lockrings" and you want to make sure you get the exact right ones,incorrect or sprung ones and even correct ones can fly off the wheel and do a lot of damage to a body that might be standing in front of it airing up the tire. Airing up in a cage is always recommended. Also if you're not familiar,scammers are on these Wanted ads like vultures with stories like "Dad passed away and had a lot of that stuff that we are trying to get rid of" or something along those lines. Always a real good price,you send the money usually by Western Union or something like that,your money is gone and you never get any parts. If you absolutely hit a deadend,there was an outfit making new ones,a little expensive I've heard but probably well worth it. Believe it was McClaren in Michigan,others on this site might have more info. Good luck. Steve

• Like 1

If these are for Buick wood-spoke artillery wheels they are not the flies off in your face lock ring, those are used on heavy truck and maybes some early car split-rims but with the Buick 19-inch artillery wheel rims there are no loose rings to fly off.  Rim shoulders on both inside and outside are integral with the tire rim.  They are simply sliced cross-sectionally to allow the rim to be collapsed to get tires and tubes on or off the rims.  Once the tire is installed the rim joints are lined up and locked together with a 1/4-turn lock operated with a tire iron.  Pictures of my 31 Buick 60 series artillery wheels, rims and tires below.  I took all of mine apart, had rims powder-coated and installed new tubes.  The hardest part of the job is getting the ends of the rim lined up and getting the lock engaged after tire/tube install.  No matter what, even if a rim came unlocked there is nothing to fly off, the rim might collapse leaving the tube bulging and once the rim is locked the tires can be inflated to 35PSI recommended inflation with no worries.  I don't have any spares to sell but hope the pictures and this post will help you find the rims and get tires mounted.

Dave  

Inner and outer shoulders on these rims ARE NOT removable so they don't present the inflation hazard of a split rim with separate lock ring.  The left 2 rims in this 

picture clearly show the cross-sectional split or joint and the lock that secures the joint when assembled.

Pwdr coat 010.jpg

Silver pr natural iron parts in this picture are rim lugs which assemble over the wheel studs and clamp the rim in place on the rim.  The larger black parts are bumper

bar clamps.

Pwdr coat 012.jpg

When I got my car it had new tires with labels still on them from Coker Tire but rims were blasted clean and never painted.  I had mine powder-coated black.

Pwdr coat 015.jpg

The chest freezer in our garage was pressed into service as a work bench to install new tubes and the tires on the newly

powder-coated rims.  Being an old bicycle mechanic I used soap suds as a lubricant to aid installing one side of the tire,

poured talcum powder in the tire carcass, stuffed the tube, soaped and levered the other side of the tire on the rim, THEN

aligned the rim joint and locked the rim.  Then I inflated to 5 PSI and bounced the tire and rim on the garage floor to seat

the tube, THEN inflated to 35PSI.  

Pwdr coat 016.jpg

Pwdr coat 017.jpg

Tire and rim assembly successfully installed and 5 lugs and nuts in place to hold the whole shebang together.

Graves 017.jpg

Graves 018.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
Arrange pictures, captions (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I used to repair tires in my youth, and some used nothing hold the lockring from flying off.  My brother in law got hit by one and survived; others were not so lucky.  We used chains, ropes, cages out of wood... but the metal cage ( it came later) is the way to go.  If I have to change one them here; I will go to a friend that has a tire shop.  I thank you for the information and the rims are the metal spokes (no wood) and I will keep looking.... there has to be some out there.  Mike

Edited by RUF (see edit history)