Dynaflow repair

ytr1903

I have been slowly addressing the HVAC issues with my car, and have been pretty successful so far. The elephant is the room is the front seal leak on the dynaflow transmission. The leak wasn't too bad, but has progressively gotten to the point where I will have to address it. It is definitely transmission fluid and is coming from behind the torque converter. Consequently, I believe the transmission is going to have to come out. (The transmission seems to be in great shape other than this issue)

Questions:

I am not familiar with the Dynaflow or for that matter any automatic transmission. Is repairing the front seal a job to be left to an expert?

Does it make sense for me to pull the transmission and give it to someone to repair, or just take the car to the expert and let them do the complete repair?

I have looked locally for someone that will work on it, but no one will touch it. Does anyone have a shop in the St. Louis area that knows how to work on it and is willing to do so? 

Thanks for any help,

Tom

I look for independently owned shops that have been around for a long time. Family owned transmission shop should be able to make repair. Comparatively the Dynaflow is small compared to automatic transmission of that era. 
Let them take it out and put it back in so they can test the transmission. I would want them to have full responsibility for the functionality of the transmission. Google Independently owned transmission shop near you.

Turbinator

Tom,

Most/Many have NO IDEA what they are doing. 

With the shop manual & some patience/time you CAN do it yourself. The torque converter is the MOST IMPORTANT part of ANY DynaFlow. YOU MUST pay particular attention to the clearances specified in the manual for a satisfying outcome. An even more satisfying outcome is using Torrington needle bearings in the correct thickness in place of the thrust washers.

A common oil leak is from the torus cover seal. Snug up the 1/2" nuts, many, NOT over tighten, that hold it together 1st. before you do anything.

A common practice is to use a pint of type 111 brake fluid as it has a tendency to help "Swell" the seals & may also stop the leakage.

The trans. is not that hard to remove IF nec. Just remember it's heavy & needs to be properly supported.

I can run you through it BUT I have done it previously so do a search beforehand.

Tom T.

Tom T. and Turbinator

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and put some Dot iii brake fluid in the transmission. I am not real confident about the results, but we shall see. I am willing to take the transmission out, and I even have a buddy that has some experience in automatic transmissions. (not much, but more than me). I am going to make it a winter project if necessary, and can be doing body work and paint prep in the meantime. I am going to continue looking for a dynaflow expert that can help out. No shop around here wants to touch it and have probably called 10 in the immediate area. 

Tom