1925 sedan first start

Todd Puzey

After doing a bunch of work on my 1925 sedan, I am now ready to start it for the first time and driving it.

I briefly ran the car when I bought it by running fuel directly in the carb, and it ran nicely, but briefly. The car had sat for a long time, so I didn’t want to suck to bad gas from the tank. Since buying it I have dropped and cleaned the tank, and now reinstalled it, and I am now ready to fire it up and get it running from the tank.

I thought I would ask the gurus on here for any hints or tips before I start it up. Do I need to prime the fuel pump and if so, what’s the best way?

Anything else I need to do or check before I run it?

If you have a vacuum fuel tank, yes you need to prime it. Cranking the engine will not pull enough vacuum to fill tank, it has to be running. There should be a filler opening on the top. Also, make sure you have a shut off valve on bottom of tank or between it and carb. Throttle up a few notches, primer/enricher knob pulled out (it's not a choke), spark lever all the way down, key on, hit the starter, car starts, spark lever all the way up, reduce primer as warms up. Drive..be HAPPY!!

4 hours ago, TonyAus said:

Hand throttle is best set at about 1/3 travel.  Go easy on the enrichment knob.  I find about 1/2" pulled out is sufficient to avoid flooding at that throttle setting.

Got to experiment, mine like full enrichment to start.