looking for carb for 29 DA, HELP

jake1960

Thanks,

I was hoping for more feedback as I understand there were many thousands of this year auto made. I guess I will try an epoxy to fill in the tiny cracks and see how that works. I found a NEW carb for a friend who was restoring his 1926 Star truck but that was a Zenith. Anyone needing one can go to http://www.zenithfuelsystems.com/

and give it a go. He has great luck with his.

Has anyone ever repaired a pot metal carb with epoxy and if so please let me know the result and the brand epoxy you used. Also, What is the best way to clean out the gasoline tank after 10+ years of old gas and rust in it?

Thanks for all the help in advance,

Jake

smith@teisprint.com

for your gas tank some radiator shops will cook them for you.they use a lye based chemical that will clean it pretty good. for hard rust inside i've made up a solution of driveway stones, sand, and enough water to make a slurry. then agitate with an electric drill with a bent rod or strap it to your lawn mower and let the kids ride around for awhile. if you try glass beading the tank make sure all the gas fumes are out first. there's also a good sealer called RED-KOTE, from Damon Ind. the phone no. on the can is 1-800-362-9850. as far as your carb, i've fixed vacuum tanks with QUIK-POLY. gas didn't eat it up.

If you have your original carburetor with the internal "guts" go to website vintageandclassicreproductions.com where you can see about buying a reproduction housing, throttle body, and float cover. These are all machined and good to go. The Dodge Bros Club places batch orders to the USA from Australia, next deadline May 1st. I have three cars (Victory Six) running with the UX-2 version of these reproductions and they are great.

Thanks for the info. I have seen the website and unfortunately I am on a small budget (the Wife and Kids Auto Restorers Budget Plan) I couldn't find any info there on gaskets and I dont really think I will be able to make my own. I found a site called http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/index.htm and I am hoping on Monday I can find out about a gasket kit. (Which isn't much more than a bowl gasket) Maybe I could make my own but I can find a few dollars in the budget rather than make one. That along with epoxy may work for me. That site list thousands of parts so I'll keep my fingers crossed. The sun is shining today and it is above 20 degrees so I am anxious to get this car running to find out what I need to spend the rest of the WaKARBP on. Other items I am looking for would be the window crank and knobs on inside doors as the pot metal has cracked in some places, (not necessary to drive on a sunny day). Other than those items and rechrome, (were the headlights chrome or nickel and does it matter for shows if you chrome nickel plated items?) I think the car is all there. I hope I can find time (and the knowledge) to post some pics here for more input. If anyone would like to see pics I am capable of sending them via e-mail. The serial # on the ladies side floor reads DA 1765 if anyone can help me with info. My title reads 1927 but have been told by David it is definately a 1929. Thanks,

Jake