Tube shocks on a 46 buick super

• 9 months later...

Hi Craig, 

Not sure, if this is still relevant for you. 

Just in case, here some pictures how I have installed tubular shocks at my 1949 Super. Running this configuration since 5000miles with no issues. Handling has improved, and no more leaking shocks... I can send you further information, if needed. 

Markus

Screenshot_20230424-154646.png

Screenshot_20230424-154640.png

Screenshot_20230424-154631.png

• Like 2

Thanks, Ben

The below link was my inspiration for the front shocks:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/buick-1950-shock-absorber-upgrade.718719/

I used Volvo shocks, if you want to, I can search for the part#. 

You need to keep the the front lever action shocks, as they are also the upper control arm. To de-activate the damping function, remove the check valves (behind the round covers). For lubrication of the control arm, I have installed a grease nipple at the shocks and filled them completely with grease. 

I will take some more pictures, the next time I am working under the car again. Anything specific you want to see? 

Screenshot_20230424-182920.png

Screenshot_20230424-182914.png

• 7 months later...

While cruising through the Buick Forum the other day I noted the thread about tube shocks on 46 Buick..

Several years ago a friend of mine came up with a very cleaver way to convert the front shocks on '40 and later Buick's. The conversion involves the use of 55-56 Buick upper control arms and 55-56 Pontiac tube shock mounts.

Pix of which I have attached.

The original Buick shocks w/control arms are removed. A large hole is drilled through the front cross member in line with the center of the front spring. the upper and lower front shock mount is harvested from a 55-56 Pontiac, the upper Pontiac shock mount is attached to the front cross-member, centered over the coil spring. A 55-56 Pontiac shock is placed through the spring, secured at the bottom with the lower Pontiac shock mounting bracket. The 55-56 Buick is attached to the cross-member in lieu of the original with the lever shock.

The end result is a coil over type of front suspension.

I have this type of conversion on my '40 Buick Super 4dr.. The whole process is an afternoon job, the hardest part is drilling the large hole through the front cross-member.

Many years ago I traveled the Western States looking for wrecking yards that had a lot of old cars. I gathered up a lot of 55-56 Buick/Pontiac front end parts for my friend to use on his numerous builds. Wm.

40 Buick A-arm w 55-56 Buick A-arm.jpg

55-56 Buick  A-arms w-55-56 Pont.jpg

55-56 Pont A-arm.1.JPG

55-56 Pont shck mt.1.JPG

Edited by Wm Steed
spell (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2