Wisconsin T head engine, FWD truck version, open flywheel, Type A ?

1912Staver

I am looking for at least a crankcase and preferably crank and flywheel for a F.W.D truck style Wisconsin. The one with the narrow mounting bosses as used in vehicles with an engine sub frame.  WW1, F.W.D.'s used them as well as others. Parts can be in near scrap condition. I am just trying to see if a Wisconsin would make a good engine for my 1912 era, basket case project. Also interested in a rebuildable engine or better quality parts , but first of all it would be nice to see if the engine is a reasonably close fit in my chassis.

Thanks, Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• 1912Staver changed the title to Wisconsin T head engine, FWD truck version, open flywheel, Type A ?

Hello Greg,

Somewhere I have a Wisconsin catalog with dimensioned general arrangements for the model "A" and "B" including the motor mounts etc.

However, knowing I have it and actually finding it are two different things. My thought is its tucked away in a drawer in my lab. Monday I will be in town and I will see if I can grab if you think it would help. I Recall that some of the engines shown had multiple versions for various installations - tractor, truck, etc.

Also, I am not sure if I shared this with you before or not. In 2018 a gentleman recovered the remains of a number of four four Wisconsin T-heads. I have no idea where they ended up might might be worth tracking down.

20180429_190746.jpg.9081a4655bedda86621db62d7ae235ab.jpg

Here is the link to the discussion and you may be able to contact him through the Smokestak forum. 

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/1918-wisconsin-t-head.177531/

Best regards,

Terry

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)

Hi Terry , I know where 3 of them { possibly 4 } ended up. Unfortunately none of them seem to be currently available. 

The Detroit library has an online scan of a Wisconsin engine catalog. Possibly the same one you have. I think I may use the catalog drawing to build a wood mock up of the crankcase and try that for test fitting.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:36 AM, 1912Staver said:

Hi Terry , I know where 3 of them { possibly 4 } ended up. Unfortunately none of them seem to be currently available. 

The Detroit library has an online scan of a Wisconsin engine catalog. Possibly the same one you have. I think I may use the catalog drawing to build a wood mock up of the crankcase and try that for test fitting.

Hello Greg,

My catalog is dated 1914. For the type 'A' and 'B' There were two support arm lengths listed: 17-3/4" and 27" This would correspond to the inside face-to-inside face distance of your frame rails. Interestingly the specs listed in the catalog call for 17-3/4" But... as you can see in the drawing the dimension shown is 17" (someone didn't coordinate well LOL) so you would want to verify what it actually is.

Overall length from the nose of the crankshaft to the rear face of the flywheel is 40" for the Model "A and 35-1/2" for the model "B"

Type 'A' Section View

IMG_0169.jpg.e582d583e5f23a7c0de3d68a62627626.jpg

Type 'B' Section View

IMG_0167.jpg.decc6bb3002d30c7211d2c9806cf99c0.jpg

Type 'A' Elevation View
IMG_0168.jpg.8417a89affa572f3028ee7a414633167.jpg

Type 'B' Elevation View

IMG_0170.jpg.311497ce1ab53a8923b09482e6be5f1f.jpg

There was also a type AU that used a 3-point mount

The mono block type 'C' and 'E' are listed in the same catalog and are listed with 17-3/4" support arms.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Thanks Terry , those are great scans ! It looks like the difference between Type A and Type B is actually the displacement. Type A , 4 3/4 X 5 1/2 vs Type B, 4 1/4 X 5.   I always thought it was the mounting provision.  In that case I am probably looking for a Type B with the narrow mountings.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Hello Greg,

Yes, the big difference is the displacement. The 'A' tips the scales at 580 lbs and the 'B' 475 lbs. I think most of that difference is that the 'A' has a more robust flywheel.

There was also a model 'D' (5-1/4"X7")

If you stumble upon any of these I would snag it up. There are not that many out there. 

Also, Joe Puleo is having a difficult time posting to the forum since yesterdays upgrade. He asked me to share the following with you:

According to Heldt "there was an SAE standard for subframes. They were to be 17, 17.5 or 18 inches wide and made from 1-1/2" wide material. I'm guessing that a Wisconsin engine would have one of the larger sizes but there were only those three."

With that in mind I believe the 17" dimension shown in the section views would be correct as opposed to the 17-3/4" that is listed in the specs.

Hi Terry. I had a chance to have a good look at a FWD truck a couple of years ago. When I crawled under it with my measuring tape and measured the basic engine and sub frame measurements I was amazed at how close it all was to the sub frame of my Staver Chicago. That started me thinking that a Wisconsin might be a viable alternative to the almost impossible to find Teetor Hartley my car came with.

But as you say, these Wisconsin's are quite rare as well.