Dodge Brothers gearbox - differences?

Hi all!

I have myself a 1921 Dodge Brothers Touring, and a friend of mine has a 1915. He has a problem that the gearbox get "locked", and the car wont move either forward or back. I would like to get him a used one and replace his current, but the question is: are there any difference in the gearboxes between 1914 and 1927? Or can I just searche the net and buy one from either of that models? Greatful for any thoughts and ideas, thank you. And greatful for any tips that can lead me to a used gearbox as well.

Greetings from Norway :)

Edited by Johnny Tyseng - Norway (see edit history)

Hi Johnny,

It's pretty easy to pull the top off the gearbox on these and take a look inside.  I'm really not sure what differences there might be between a '15 and '21 gearbox tho.  Does he have the Mechanics Instruction Manual for the car?  At least pulling the top off might reveal if the problem is with the gears not sliding easily on the main shaft or a problem in the shifter mechanism itself (shift forks or the sliding rods in the top that move the forks).

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Big differences between the two if it still has stock box. The 1915 if stock would have cone clutch and the gearbox was aluminum and cast as part of the bell housing/rear motor mount. So there would be lots of parts differences. If these parts have been changed out, different story. I suggest posting your question down in the Dodge Brothers section. You are going to get eyes on it that work with the 1938 back Dodge cars and trucks. 

You might want to do a little exploring first so you can see what is in place and post some pictures if you can. 

• Like 1