'41 black hubcap and different jack?

RobertH

Love to learn all about this old machine. Can someone explain the reasoning and history behind the spare black hubcap? And what's a good alternative jack.  this stock one scare the heck out of me.  Can bumper jacks be used?

I saved the scissor jack from my '89 Chevy 1500 P/U.  It's a good size and I'd think those (or similar) would be available from most wrecking yards.  A small hydraulic trolley jack or bottle jack are other possibilities.  I would only use the original jack as a last resort...

• Like 1

The black hubcap, I have been told, is to prevent any chance that luggage or other baggage might snag on the rough uncovered wheel and protruding stud.  I have my jack in the trunk although it really belongs in a trough underneath the back seat.

I purchased a hydraulic jack at Harbor Freight for about $35. It fits nicely under my frame and I think there is about 3/4” to spare  (not sure) if I want to spread the load with a board.C0EB5B3A-B68B-49AF-A3A9-E600A262EDAA.jpeg.1afcd761b4b47aa73da2d6659f62d777.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roadmaster71 said:

spread the load with a board.

Yes, 3 or 4 pieces of 4x4 about 8~12 inches long can come in handy to chock wheels or serve as a base for a bottle jack as shown above.  One of those small HF blue tarps is also handy to have in case you need to slide under the car - while NOT on the jack...

• Like 1