Window crank handles for 38 soecial.

sloperlad

My crank handles after 84 yrs have decided not to grip where they insert into the winding mechanism.  They slip on the knurled edge. These are held in by a small spung clip and I assume the surface area they grip on have worn down causing the releasing. . Has any one inserted a shim or found away to gain grip again.  Would like not to replace original fittings with reproductions.

Do you think the inside of the handles are worn, or the outside of the gear on the window regulator? I have a bunch of extra 1938 window crank handles available if you need replacement handles. 

• Like 1

If you clean and add J-B Weld to the hole in the handle and a thin wipe of grease to the splines of the regulator, it should hold much better and still be removable. The window needs to be free in the channels for the job to last. McHinson's offer is generous, thanks.

Thankyou MCHinson for your kind offer would take it up but have found out from previous owner that when they purchased car the they found out on inspection the original owners had replaced window regulators with ones from other models and makes. Apparently Australian Buicks are different to American Buicks. Makes the repair more challenging.

JFranklin. JB world. Will try but will also from Buick club advice drill and insert a grub screw to hold in place. 

Thankyou for the response.