Gemmer ? steering box R.H.D. , 1912 era ?

1912Staver

Anyone recognize this steering box ?  I believe it a larger Gemmer box, circa 1910 - 1913, but I have no idea of what automobile it would have been used on. It will come from a larger, medium quality or better car that uses a engine mounting sub frame. { inner support bracket would indicate this }

Any information appreciated. 

See also my parts wanted ad regarding this unit.

DSC_0543 (2).JPG

DSC_0546 (2).JPG

DSC_0544 (2).JPG

DSC_0545 (2).JPG

Definitely a Gemmer K  These images are from the Gemmer manufacturers catalog, sent to prospective vehicle manufacturers.

The mounting may or may not have been supplied by Gemmer, of course those boxes with cast on brackets were factory ordered.

Gemmer K.jpeg

assembly.jpeg

arms.jpeg

wheels.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Layden ! Thats a big help! Now to narrow down what cars used this unit, or better yet turn one up in the metal.

Any idea if they were all the same size ? Or was the same unit made in various sizes to suit larger or smaller cars?

A Gemmer catalog , I figured one must have been published.  Been looking for one for years, but I have never found one.

I notice the one you show from the catalog has the access cover on the top of the main housing . Any I have seen on a Stutz also have this cover. My box does not have this cover. I wonder if mine is slightly earlier than when Stutz hit the market? 1912

Actually , I just noticed the second illustration show a unit without the cover , just a tapped opening for a pipe plug like on my box.

An option ? Or something specific to the ones sold to Stutz ?

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, Layden B said:

Definitely a Gemmer K  These images are from the Gemmer manufacturers catalog, sent to prospective vehicle manufacturers.

Layden, do you know approximately what years Gemmer produced this model K box? Is there a date on the catalog?

I have a steering box that I think is the Model O , but it is from a Overland that uses an extremely odd , Overland specific mounting system and main casting to suit. I asked about it a year or so ago on the what is it forum.  R.H.D , but you wouldnt know it to look at it. Internals are somewhat smaller and don't fit my Gemmer K. I think my Staver originally used a Model O , so a main housing from one would also be of interest to me.

A bit more off the web. this is dated 1910. This page is small, and I don't seem to be able to make it larger. Mentions Model C, K , and H. Top one is the Model C, I think it may be what the very nice one for sale on the HCCA site currently is. { a bit too expensive for my project}

image.jpeg.4cd1bcc4f27fb8289cf55e9e3135b967.jpeg

My catalog mentions the 1913 Indianapolis 500 so would guess this is for cars to be built during the 1914 model year. 

As to the filler plug, this is catalog NO.8, some detail features shown may be on carry over pictures from previous years.

• Like 1