Air Compressor Size

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 8:35 PM, Terry Wiegand said:

The pressure switch can be set to whatever works best for a person.  I just left it where he had it set and it works fine for me because I do not use it like he did.

Sir, the gent that set up  your Dad’s rig knew his business. I have high regard for anyone setting out to set up a work system that is efficient. Call me a serious minded hobbyist metal finisher for chrome plating and powder coating of old car parts.

My one main problem has been keeping the psi at the nozzle 100 psi. Seems like my 10 HP 120 gallon 38 CFM at 100 PSI compressor cant keep up with the PSI REQUIREMENT. Ive added an 80 gallon after cooler reservoir tank ( the 58 CFM REFRIDGERATED LINE DRYER) in hopes with an air flow valve I can get the 100 PSi. and air flow to my 100 PSI PRESSURIZED media CANNISTER TANK. 
Ive got to install more plumbing before I go forward.

IMG_2612.jpeg

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

On 5/3/2024 at 8:44 AM, Barney Eaton said:

he said he never ran out of air. 

Barney, nothing like knowing what kind of rig you need to do your work. Ive known folks who way over spent and those who way under spent. I try to spend for systems 1/2 again what I need.( assuming I can afford what is needed.) Im largely self taught about mechanical things late in life. The lessons are expensive.

Turbinator

When buying a new compressor, the three things to rely on are the CFM, pressure and the RPM.

The tank size is relatively unimportant, although the larger the tank, the more economically the compressor will run.

Look up on an air consumption chart and see what your tools require for CFM and buy accordingly.

Nobody ever said " I bought a too large of an air compressor"

Note. If you price two compressors of the same cfm and they are priced completely different from each other,

Think of buying Oats. If you want nice clean oats, that is one price. But if you want to settle for oats that have already been through the horse, that is much cheaper.

Note to Steve Braverman, Your 50 year old compressor will probably last longer than any new one that you will but at the big box store. I have a new 30 hp compressor and I keep a 80 year old one for a back up and start it regularly.

Posted (edited)

Unless one is willing to spend commercial sized money for a new commercial quality compressor it's way better to buy an older unit. Most only need some valve refurbishing to be good as new. IR T-30, Champion, devilbiss, Kellog, Quincy are all excellent. Around here FB market place is full of commercial quality 5HP units usually for less than $500. However most are 3 phase and used 5HP single phase motors are scarce. I've refurbished and sold a number of them. Never made much but it was fun. Ive kept a few for myself.

Below is my 30's something IR T-30 I bought for $50. And my Champion I paid $200 for. I found 5HP motors for both for $100 each. Other than new belts that's all I have in them not counting labor............Bob

2021082-14443.jpg

20201006_120416.jpg

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you only need occasional air for small air tools, smaller  paint spraying, tire filling etc here's three oldie but goodies. All needed odds and ends and were under $100 all up, not counting labor. They're 2.5 and 3 HP units........Bob

A Quincy, a T-30 and a really sweet Devilbiss...........Bob

20211204_140404.jpg

20221119_134535.jpg

20230430_104917.jpg

• Like 2